• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speeding Awareness Course

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Perhaps, but I'm an introverted programmer without any interesting hobbies. People tend to talk to me a few seconds before realising I'm pretty vacant.
    Trick is to ask them tonnes of questions about themselves. If they have a child with a vaguely interesting hobby ask them loads about that.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The first hour or so was quite good, but then it turned into exactly the kind of preaching you might expect.

I'll let the minor celeb that I was there with explain:

I was invited to attend a 'Speed Awareness Course' - and here's what I learned | The Independent
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        The first hour or so was quite good, but then it turned into exactly the kind of preaching you might expect.

I'll let the minor celeb that I was there with explain:

I was invited to attend a 'Speed Awareness Course' - and here's what I learned | The Independent
        Who's that?
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Attended one last year, and it wasn't too bad, although appallingly long.

One thing I remember is that no matter how many lanes it has, a carriageway is "single" if you can roll a ball across it from kerb to kerb, like rolling a cannonball across a ship's decks, and the speed limit on a single carriageway is 60 MPH not 70 MPH.

(I later won a £30 bet with a friend over that very question in the pub, despite having warned him I was an expert after being on the speed awareness course! Some people just won't be told )

Another section is using deductive powers to determine hazards likely to pop up all of a sudden, such as wheelie bins by the road meaning there may be a bin lorry in the vicinity, and the start of a bicycle lane (perpendicular to the road) indicating some suicidal kid may suddenly shoot out into the road without looking, and so on.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            Beats 3 points...

Comment

Can you demand to do the course in Welsh?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                Can you demand to do the course in Welsh?
                No problem. Just do the course on Bardsey Island. Head to Uwchmynydd at the tip of the North Wales peninsula, then take the weekly rowing boat to the Island.

And it's a two day course, as it takes longer to say all the traffic-related words in Welsh and there's a long section on techniques for avoiding sheep on the road.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  the start of a bicycle lane (perpendicular to the road) indicating some suicidal kid may suddenly shoot out into the road without looking
                  So now you can run them over more easily?

Comment

On mine they said unequivocally that your attendence was confidential and not communicated to insurers.
                    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                      Is that what she tells you when it's cuddle time?

https://youtu.be/S3NSMx7Ev5A
                      Don't get done get Vom(it)
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X