• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Brexit trap that's closing on Britons who live in Europe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    The country is changing fast. There was a lesbian couple smoking weed on the beach on Sunday.
    I would have thought seaweed would be too salty and wet for smoking.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      I'm sure most expats would like to stay loyal to the country of their birth. But when the country of your birth is actively trying to shaft you and your citizenship has become a hindrance at best and an embarrassment at worse, then you can understand.

EU FOM applied at the same time to UK and Ireland so there was never any conflict with the existing rules. There could be in future especially if we end up with a hard border. Ireland may wish to join Schengen ;something they were prevented from doing by the UK.
      Absolutely. When you look at the UK from the outside, it's clear they've lost it, especially reading the tripe in the Daily Mail and Express.

Expats are flooding the local authorities with applications for foreign citizenship.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Poor aliens...

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
          Whatever your thoughts on Brexit the Government has repeatedly tried to ensure UK citizens' rights from an early stage. From gov.uk (The government's negotiating objectives for exiting the EU: PM speech - 17th January):

"6. Rights for EU nationals in Britain, and British nationals in the EU

Fairness demands that we deal with another issue as soon as possible too. We want to guarantee the rights of EU citizens who are already living in Britain, and the rights of British nationals in other member states, as early as we can.

I have told other EU leaders that we could give people the certainty they want straight away, and reach such a deal now.

Many of them favour such an agreement – 1 or 2 others do not – but I want everyone to know that it remains an important priority for Britain – and for many other member states – to resolve this challenge as soon as possible. Because it is the right and fair thing to do."
          Yes of course it's all the fault of the big bad EU and not the people that decided to tear up years of progress.

The problem is nobody actually knows what "rights" really means. Probably everyone who has lived in the UK/EU for long enough will get the right to stay, but that doesn't guarantee the same rights as in the EU especially when it comes to healthcare or pensions. And when you read stories like this:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...after-24-years

that happen whilst we're still in the EU, I don't think anyone should be giving the UK authorities the benefit of the doubt.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            Absolutely. When you look at the UK from the outside, it's clear they've lost it, especially reading the tripe in the Daily Mail and Express.

Expats are flooding the local authorities with applications for foreign citizenship.
            My Polish colleague told me the local media in Poland report that their national archives have been overwhelmed with requests for documents required to prove Polish ancestry, which you may need if you want to obtain Polish citizenship. I'm not sure how that works. On the other hand, Polish citizenship is hard to loose. If you don't want it anymore you have to pay quite a lot of money, send a letter to the President and wait... there is no timescale for the reply, no appeals procedure, and no explanation will be given if the President refuses to grant your wish.
            You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              Yes of course it's all the fault of the big bad EU and not the people that decided to tear up years of progress.

The problem is nobody actually knows what "rights" really means. Probably everyone who has lived in the UK/EU for long enough will get the right to stay, but that doesn't guarantee the same rights as in the EU especially when it comes to healthcare or pensions. And when you read stories like this:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...after-24-years

that happen whilst we're still in the EU, I don't think anyone should be giving the UK authorities the benefit of the doubt.
              Given it appears to be the EU playing hard ball then, on balance, I take the government's statement as genuine.

We seem to have a lot of contractors making a handsome living in Europe, and presumably paying tax there too, feeling a bit put out about by a decision made by those who still live and work here in the UK. The other side seem to be a lot of contractors who have come to live and work in the UK, presumably because the pay and conditions far outstrip anything offered in their country of birth, giving off too.

How many have contacted their MEP to express their concerns?

For the 'CUK record' I would welcome a reciprocal arrangement as outlined by May in her Lancaster House speech.

Comment

Given it appears to be the EU playing hard ball then, on balance, I take the government's statement as genuine.

We seem to have a lot of contractors making a handsome living in Europe, and presumably paying tax there too, feeling a bit put out about by a decision made by those who still live and work here in the UK. The other side seem to be a lot of contractors who have come to live and work in the UK, presumably because the pay and conditions far outstrip anything offered in their country of birth, giving off too.

How many have contacted their MEP to express their concerns?

For the 'CUK record' I would welcome a reciprocal arrangement as outlined by May in her Lancaster House speech.
                Says the man entitled to an EU passport.

Comment

Says the man(?) that is desperately trying to OBTAIN an EU passport.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

In theory. The fact is the thought of obtaining one never crossed my mind. The kids and wife have British ones.

Comment

In theory. The fact is the thought of obtaining one never crossed my mind. The kids and wife have British ones.
                      In theory, therefore in reality. Good to know you've got privileged access to the lifeboat?

Even Ian Paisley Jr recommends your family get Irish passports.

Ian Paisley Jr urges Northern Irish citizens to apply for Republic of Ireland passports | The Independent

Comment

Working...
                      X