• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stoke & Copeland Elections

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
    First time I ever remember a Govt turning over an opposition in a by election. Normally the other way around.
    First since 82.

Where's Tim Farron to tell us this is a damning reflection of May's Brexit approach. Or is that only applicable in seats that voted massively against Brexit and where a new runway is to be built?

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
      First time I ever remember a Govt turning over an opposition in a by election. Normally the other way around.
      Mrs Harrison hailed the victory - the first by-election gain by a governing party since 1982 - as "a truly historic event".
      Yup, shows how bad Comrade Corbyn is for Labour. Wonder what the Labour reaction to this will be. Tom Watson won't be dabbing like some teenage prick about this one I am sure.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
        Yup, shows how bad Comrade Corbyn is for Labour. Wonder what the Labour reaction to this will be. Tom Watson won't be dabbing like some teenage prick about this one I am sure.
        You didn't hear him on the radio earlier then?

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
          You didn't hear him on the radio earlier then?
          No, did he say "Yo bruv, it's like a minor defeat innit. My man Corbyn is sick mate. Trus me, when it comes to the general election we gunna smash it. Like Tyson mate. Some dank bizniss gonna be unleashed."

Comment

I'm sure he's blaming it on disunity or, basically, anything except himself. All the evidence points to him not standing down before the next GE, but I think he will, on reflection. When Abbott and McDonnell are calling for a turnaround in the polls within the year, you know there's pressure from within to leave an adequate gap for a leadership transition before the next GE. There won't be another leadership challenge, but I reckon he'll be gone within the year. The problem for Labour is that they're in structural decline. Fundamentally, Corbyn is neither the problem nor the solution, he's just a symptom.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
              Where's Tim Farron to tell us this is a damning reflection of May's Brexit approach. Or is that only applicable in seats that voted massively against Brexit and where a new runway is to be built?
              Or that as a percentage of the electorate eligible to vote, the Tory candidate actually lost - or at least does not represent the people and there should be a re-run.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                Or that as a percentage of the electorate eligible to vote, the Tory candidate actually lost - or at least does not represent the people and there should be a re-run.
                Eligible but couldn't be arsed? And by default the couldn't be arseds would have voted against May?

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                  No, did he say "Yo bruv, it's like a minor defeat innit. My man Corbyn is sick mate. Trus me, when it comes to the general election we gunna smash it. Like Tyson mate. Some dank bizniss gonna be unleashed."
                  May honeymoon
                  Blair and Mandelslime
                  In the wake of Brexit
                  Tories are divided over Brexit, not Labour. This will become evident.
                  Blah.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    I'm sure he's blaming it on disunity or, basically, anything except himself. All the evidence points to him not standing down before the next GE, but I think he will, on reflection. When Abbott and McDonnell are calling for a turnaround in the polls within the year, you know there's pressure from within to leave an adequate gap for a leadership transition before the next GE. There won't be another leadership challenge, but I reckon he'll be gone within the year. The problem for Labour is that they're in structural decline. Fundamentally, Corbyn is neither the problem nor the solution, he's just a symptom.
                    Labour need strategists like Blair and co. to take the party in an electable direction.

Oh and how did UKIP lose in Stoke?
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Oh and how did UKIP lose in Stoke?
                      Nuttal is pretty much unelectable.

Nigel can do the bloke in the pub without putting his foot in it, Nuttal can't.

They need serious politicians to capitalise on their success.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X