• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

menstrual leave?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bee View Post
    This is a cretin answer.

Was not allowed or discouragement women to proceed with their studies, or face work discrimination, compromising the future generations and you know that.
    Its not a cretin answer its a reasonable one. For 100 years you had the vote since the 60s women have been able to work My Mother, Aunts etc all had jobs some in science some in business many were more senior than men. Yes there were some challenges but my sisters are doing OK as are many of my peers. I expect my daughters to compete equally.

100 years women have had the vote. If it was a market where suitable drugs would sell then firms would make them. 30 years ago HIV was new and no drugs were made now billions is spent on research.

Now intense period cramps are very real but affect a small minority or happen infrequently no market has been identified.

If it had alongside blue liquid & white trousers there would be take Tampax pain capsules for a carefree period. Pain relief & contraceptive devices have been shown to reduce the pain so its likely the answer lies along there.

If you feel its serious then identify a market, develop a drug and help these poor women. Or alternatively practise sex discrimination by demanding that they have a day or two a month off because they are wimmin.

Do you think I can get a couple of days a month off for erectile dysfunction? Its not like I suffer but I'm a bloke so I might. Don't dock my pay as that would be unfair and sexist.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
      Everyone is not the same as only women.

If you do a search, only a few percentage of women the pain can interfere with the daily tasks and we can always take a leave like everyone, furthermore, I suspect that this kind of leave coming from China, is to mask other criminal problems against women.
      I don't need to do a search thank you.

The argument was that it was sexist to give women menstruation leave. I was simply pointing out there are countries who really into equality e.g.with equal parental leave, who have got around it by giving everyone sick leave in a way that those women with very painful periods aren't singled out.

However I am aware that some women with painful periods which stops them participating in normal life actually need more leave than this.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        Its not a cretin answer its a reasonable one. For 100 years you had the vote since the 60s women have been able to work My Mother, Aunts etc all had jobs some in science some in business many were more senior than men. Yes there were some challenges but my sisters are doing OK as are many of my peers. I expect my daughters to compete equally.

100 years women have had the vote. If it was a market where suitable drugs would sell then firms would make them. 30 years ago HIV was new and no drugs were made now billions is spent on research.

Now intense period cramps are very real but affect a small minority or happen infrequently no market has been identified.

If it had alongside blue liquid & white trousers there would be take Tampax pain capsules for a carefree period. Pain relief & contraceptive devices have been shown to reduce the pain so its likely the answer lies along there.

If you feel its serious then identify a market, develop a drug and help these poor women. Or alternatively practise sex discrimination by demanding that they have a day or two a month off because they are wimmin.

Do you think I can get a couple of days a month off for erectile dysfunction? Its not like I suffer but I'm a bloke so I might. Don't dock my pay as that would be unfair and sexist.
        You are really show casing your lack of understanding of female anatomy, physiology and biochemistry by posting this.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          You are really show casing your lack of understanding of female anatomy, physiology and biochemistry by posting this.
          Oh well thats me & the NHS then

Period pain - NHS Choices

If you have significant pain see your GP something is probably causing it. By the way going on the pill does seem to help.

Comment

I agree with the idea of this but it does need to be implemented in a gender-neutral way otherwise it is actually sexist against men. The only practical solution is to give everyone 2 days paid sick leave per month no questions asked. Women can then use this to cover their painful periods and men can use it for whatever they feel necessary as well (monthly dose of man flu).

In reality though you're basically giving all employees an extra 24 days holiday per year as why wouldn't you take these days if they're available? Maybe then the real solution is to actually give people 49 days holiday a year (instead of 25) and then they can do what they want with them. If the economy can stand it maybe it would improve everyone's quality of life who knows.

Bottom line is I don't see how companies can give specific leave for a certain type of problem that only a subset of the workforce can ever have - it's discrimination if you look at it in those terms, no different than say giving Christians an extra couple of days a year or allowing vegans to work shorter hours because they don't have the energy for a full day. (That is a joke btw).

Comment

Originally posted by Willapp View Post
              I agree with the idea of this but it does need to be implemented in a gender-neutral way otherwise it is actually sexist against men. The only practical solution is to give everyone 2 days paid sick leave per month no questions asked. Women can then use this to cover their painful periods and men can use it for whatever they feel necessary as well (monthly dose of man flu).

In reality though you're basically giving all employees an extra 24 days holiday per year as why wouldn't you take these days if they're available? Maybe then the real solution is to actually give people 49 days holiday a year (instead of 25) and then they can do what they want with them. If the economy can stand it maybe it would improve everyone's quality of life who knows.

Bottom line is I don't see how companies can give specific leave for a certain type of problem that only a subset of the workforce can ever have - it's discrimination if you look at it in those terms, no different than say giving Christians an extra couple of days a year or allowing vegans to work shorter hours because they don't have the energy for a full day. (That is a joke btw).
              So with UK productivity already identified as a problem you propose giving permies almost 10 weeks paid holiday per year! On that basis I might take up a permie job and a contract during the holidays.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
                So with UK productivity already identified as a problem you propose giving permies almost 10 weeks paid holiday per year! On that basis I might take up a permie job and a contract during the holidays.
                It's not an entirely serious suggestion, I was just trying to extrapolate the only practical end result if women do indeed need this time off - either everyone gets it or nobody does.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  Oh well thats me & the NHS then

Period pain - NHS Choices

If you have significant pain see your GP something is probably causing it. By the way going on the pill does seem to help.
                  No it's just you.

You know feck all about period pain, feck all about whether the pill works for all women with period pain and feck all about the help GP's provide for it.
                  Last edited by SueEllen; 5 December 2016, 11:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Willapp View Post

And this was my point about the Nordic country I worked in.

They implemented sick leave in a gender neutral way.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      No it's just you.
                      how does my advice differ from the NHS?

Comment

Working...
                      X