• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMS Queen Elizabeth, the UK's newest Aircraft Carrier

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Technically, and this is not a joke, it's known as "Windows for Warships".
    Its proper name is SubMarine Command System - Next Generation (SMCS-NG), which was named "Windows for Warship" by the Register and an ex BAE employee
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I've done work at a major site for the defence arm of a foreign, friendly government and the OS they were using was discontinued in the early 80's yet they're still running it. I also did some work for another foreign, friendly government and this included AWACs and submarines and this uses an OS which was discontinued in the 80's and I doubt anyone here has heard of it (I also worked on some systems which use this OS for the postal service of a major European country.) The UK police force also use an OS which is no longer supported .If it works and is doing it's job, don't touch it...or primarily in these cases, don't touch a running system!
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        I've done work at a major site for the defence arm of a foreign, friendly government and the OS they were using was discontinued in the early 80's yet they're still running it. I also did some work for another foreign, friendly government and this included AWACs and submarines and this uses an OS which was discontinued in the 80's and I doubt anyone here has heard of it (I also worked on some systems which use this OS for the postal service of a major European country.) The UK police force also use an OS which is no longer supported .If it works and is doing it's job, don't touch it...or primarily in these cases, don't touch a running system!
        Defence firms are a firm believer of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" which is why I am confident in saying the system I left running on Windows NT 4.0 in 2008 will still be working today
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Windows eh, snapped this video wall a few weeks ago....

Comment

Quite amazing. The UK produces this magnificent piece of engineering and all you lot can do is babble on about which windows f**king operating system is being used
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              Quite amazing. The UK produces this magnificent piece of engineering and all you lot can do is babble on about which windows f**king operating system is being used
              By the looks of it, you have had a share in the pie supplying contractors for this project

Comment

That can be sunk by a few rocket-carrying drones in today's warfare world...

Two Minutes Hate, anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                  By the looks of it, you have had a share in the pie supplying contractors for this project
                  if only
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Probably because it was the Labour Party who initiated the building of it
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                      Indeed.

Just remember Nott the Defence Secretary and his plans to decimate the Navy around about the time it became rather necessary.

Yet another brilliant Tory plan that, thankfully, wasn't implemented.

This current lot are equally dense.
                      It's good PR to say we have to save money but it's bad PR to say you are a pacifist.

Something a certain party leader should learn.....
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X