• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving a contract partway through

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by breaktwister View Post
    I just thought my CV would look stronger with a contract renewal on it, as evidence of client satisfaction.

A few reasons why I would prefer to leave, my role was not clearly defined and I am not happy with the direction it is moving in. I also came in right at the bottom of the market rate and have since seen numerous opportunities at around 50% higher than my rate.

Just to clarify, I dont intend to leave partway through this term, but was considering accepting a renewal and maybe leaving partway as soon as I secured something better.
    Big IR35 alarm bell.

As for taking the renewal then leaving part way through, that'll leave a bit of a bad taste in the mouth. While they'll happily dump you at a moment's notice, you'll probably not be welcomed back. I'd either not extend, making a non-bridge-burning excuse or see out the project extension and make sure you get a properly defined set of deliverables for your extension.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

If you think you can get contracts 50% higher, tell your "line manager" who you have a good relationship with that while you appreciate the renewal offer, it doesn't make sense. They will understand because who wouldn't change job for a 50% pay rise? You never know, they might offer you significantly more if you're good.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Great advice guys. I understand that CVs are a marketing tool and subject to spin but I am hesitant in telling outright lies that can be very easily checked. I am on a 6 month contract and have paperwork to prove it so won't be trying to claim I'm on a 3 month with a renewal.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Big IR35 alarm bell.

As for taking the renewal then leaving part way through, that'll leave a bit of a bad taste in the mouth. While they'll happily dump you at a moment's notice, you'll probably not be welcomed back. I'd either not extend, making a non-bridge-burning excuse or see out the project extension and make sure you get a properly defined set of deliverables for your extension.
          I will do this. Thanks.

Comment

Great advice guys. I understand that CVs are a marketing tool and subject to spin but I am hesitant in telling outright lies that can be very easily checked. I am on a 6 month contract and have paperwork to prove it so won't be trying to claim I'm on a 3 month with a renewal.
            Dont worry about it. You might get one knobhead agent who asks why you only stayed for 6 months but generally most aren't that stupid.

I think sometimes its more them than the client anyway. I.e. they're thinking we want a contractor on board who we can get to run and run with extensions.

Clients IMHO generally only think, in a lot of cases as long as the contract i.e. 3 months. Yes they generally want someone who might extend but I dont they think about it too much at the beginning.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Dont worry about it. You might get one knobhead agent who asks why you only stayed for 6 months but generally most aren't that stupid.

I think sometimes its more them than the client anyway. I.e. they're thinking we want a contractor on board who we can get to run and run with extensions.

Clients IMHO generally only think, in a lot of cases as long as the contract i.e. 3 months. Yes they generally want someone who might extend but I dont they think about it too much at the beginning.
              I'd say it very much depends on the client. You're potentially limiting yourself if you break contracts. Not taking extentions because you don't like the way the project was going and had no real way of influencing it is something else and a business decision that may reflect well upon you in an interview but jumping from gig to gig smacks of not being good enough and flitting before you get found out.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Im new to contracting and am halfway through my first 6 month contract. Client is happy and I expect a renewal but I dont think I want to stay on for another 6 months. Given this is my first contract I think it will look bad on my CV if I did not get a renewal. Any advise here? Should I just reject a renewal if I dont intend to stay on for the full term? Should I just suck it up as a newb and take the full renewal and see out the term. The latter option I guess will be the best play for my CV. Thoughts?
                If you stick with it and the client appreciates your work then you should foster the relationship in order to gain work or business in the future. If not do whatever you want!
                This is quite different from leaving a contract mid way.
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                X