+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 27
  1. #11

    Lord of the Vectras

    VectraMan is NOT a disguised employee

    VectraMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    European Union (UK region)
    Posts
    10,889
    Thanks (Given)
    54
    Thanks (Received)
    175
    Likes (Given)
    273
    Likes (Received)
    1029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    And Brillo, in the words of Greg Lemond - "It never gets easier, you just go faster."
    That's certainly true. I used to do a 20 mile route with some hills along the way, and it would take me about 2 hours. Today I did the same route in 1 hour and 20 minutes. But I still feel knackered all the way round; still feel like I have no stamina and still feel totally unfit. But obviously I'm going much faster so something must be working.
    Special Discretion Required.

  2. #12

    Souper Poster

    minestrone 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    15,188
    Thanks (Given)
    4
    Thanks (Received)
    95
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    546

    Default

    I was at the Glasgow transport museum last week, they have the 2 bikes Graeme Obree got the hour records on, they look like they have been put together by someone who can't weld.

    Anyways, there was a little quote that he went for the starfish training method on a home built training bike, cycle as hard as you can as fast as you can until you are a starfish next to the bike. I liked that.

  3. #13

    crap ex-mod

    MarillionFan - scorchio!

    MarillionFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    34,120
    Thanks (Given)
    40
    Thanks (Received)
    367
    Likes (Given)
    218
    Likes (Received)
    1753

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VectraMan View Post
    That's certainly true. I used to do a 20 mile route with some hills along the way, and it would take me about 2 hours. Today I did the same route in 1 hour and 20 minutes. But I still feel knackered all the way round; still feel like I have no stamina and still feel totally unfit. But obviously I'm going much faster so something must be working.
    I'm going faster as I'm recording it. Got overtaken by some Lycra clad ladies earlier on the straight, but I'm on a mountain bike with a wheel splayed like an elephants foot under my weight, and they looked like they were cycling on razor blades. I can do distance, but I'd like to build stamina, so I'll stick with hills for a while And try the advice above to increase gears
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

  4. #14

    TPAFKAk2p2

    mudskipper is a fount of knowledge

    mudskipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    24,428
    Thanks (Given)
    759
    Thanks (Received)
    1251
    Likes (Given)
    6033
    Likes (Received)
    4567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I'm going faster as I'm recording it. Got overtaken by some Lycra clad ladies earlier on the straight, but I'm on a mountain bike with a wheel splayed like an elephants foot under my weight, and they looked like they were cycling on razor blades. I can do distance, but I'd like to build stamina, so I'll stick with hills for a while And try the advice above to increase gears
    Shout if you fancy an after work ride now the evenings are light. There's some nice routes round that way.

  5. #15

    Souper Poster

    minestrone 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    15,188
    Thanks (Given)
    4
    Thanks (Received)
    95
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    546

    Default

    Has anyone read The Obree Way?



    I'm thinking of picking it up.

  6. #16

    Souper Poster

    minestrone 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    15,188
    Thanks (Given)
    4
    Thanks (Received)
    95
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I'm going faster as I'm recording it. Got overtaken by some Lycra clad ladies earlier on the straight, but I'm on a mountain bike with a wheel splayed like an elephants foot under my weight, and they looked like they were cycling on razor blades. I can do distance, but I'd like to build stamina, so I'll stick with hills for a while And try the advice above to increase gears
    That is what is called 'being chicked'.

  7. #17

    TripleIronDad

    BrilloPad is a fount of knowledge

    BrilloPad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    88,676
    Thanks (Given)
    12617
    Thanks (Received)
    2509
    Likes (Given)
    12617
    Likes (Received)
    5290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I'm going faster as I'm recording it. Got overtaken by some Lycra clad ladies earlier on the straight, but I'm on a mountain bike with a wheel splayed like an elephants foot under my weight, and they looked like they were cycling on razor blades. I can do distance, but I'd like to build stamina, so I'll stick with hills for a while And try the advice above to increase gears
    If you could have kept up with them you would have got a nice view for longer! An incentive to train...
    Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

  8. #18

    I live on CUK

    vetran is a fount of knowledge

    vetran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Come Friendly Bombs
    Posts
    23,665
    Thanks (Given)
    486
    Thanks (Received)
    1898
    Likes (Given)
    4605
    Likes (Received)
    4202

    Default

    I always get MS or Brillo to carry me up! Its easier.

    As a fat boy myself I always just keep changing down when forced and try to stay on the bike.

    After a few goes you get a bit further up the hill, then you get to the top, then you get faster.


    Seat height definitely a good point.

    as mentioned MTFU!
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

    I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

  9. #19

    TPAFKAk2p2

    mudskipper is a fount of knowledge

    mudskipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    24,428
    Thanks (Given)
    759
    Thanks (Received)
    1251
    Likes (Given)
    6033
    Likes (Received)
    4567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    I always get MS or Brillo to carry me up! Its easier.

    As a fat boy myself I always just keep changing down when forced and try to stay on the bike.

    After a few goes you get a bit further up the hill, then you get to the top, then you get faster.


    Seat height definitely a good point.

    as mentioned MTFU!
    You still cycling?

  10. #20

    I live on CUK

    vetran is a fount of knowledge

    vetran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Come Friendly Bombs
    Posts
    23,665
    Thanks (Given)
    486
    Thanks (Received)
    1898
    Likes (Given)
    4605
    Likes (Received)
    4202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    You still cycling?
    not so much manshack & house taking up all my time but will get back to it later in year.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

    I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.