• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency Contracts inside IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aoxomoxoa View Post
    The point you need to bear in mind is that the higher rate you'll get as a contractor compared to a permie needs to be considered in light of the fact that you'll most likely spend indeterminate chunks of time on the bench with zero income. Not to mention that there isn't an employer paying you when you're on holiday, paying your NI, contributing to your pension etc etc. You need to factor in these considerations too.
    This.

£500/day contract? Want 2 weeks in the sun on holiday? That's £5000 you won't be billing plus the cost of the holiday. 2 days sick during the contract? That's another £1000 down the pan (the regulars will say of course real contractors don't take days off sick!)

Car in the garage 1 day and can't get to the office, kid sick and needs to be looked after another day? That's another £1000 down.

Extension falls through at last minute and you are out the door on Friday? Takes a week to even get an agent to respond to your CV? Another week while waiting for an interview to get sorted out, another few days and you've been offered and signed a contract, and another week til you start, before you know it, 4 weeks are gone and that's £10,000 not billed. And what if that falls through at last minute?

It all adds up, and of course, you might be lucky and finish one contract on a Friday and have another lined up for the Monday and this all sounds like a scare story, but these are some of things you need to think about rather than saying "£500/day is way more than I earn as a permie"
    Last edited by jmo21; 20 January 2014, 15:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Daveitcont View Post
      I've got some reading to do!!!!!!!

Cheers guys. I imagine contract wannabes are a pain in the backs side! Apologies.
      Wannabes that show no interest in finding out what it's really about are a pain the backside. If you have looked into it all, then welcome!

There a few things more frustrating than to read a series of posts in a few months about how it's nothing like you expected, because things have gone pear-shaped. There are lots of contractors who became contractors because they were made redundant, saw the pound signs, and thought that this was the easy way to make lots of money.

Best of luck with it all.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
        £500/day contract? Want 2 weeks in the sun on holiday? That's £5000 you won't be billing plus the cost of the holiday.
        This kills me every year...and don't talk to me about Bank Hols!
        Clarity is everything

Comment

Working...
        X