• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gaps on CV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaps on CV

Now I know gaps on CV's have been mentioned before but over the weekend I was thinking a lot about how I work and plans for the future and what I would like to do longer term.

I do plan on taking a lot more breaks in-between contracts and get more of that work life balance. I know a lot of people on here already work like this and I suppose I wanted to get their feedback as to whether choosing to take time off has it effected attitudes (agency/clients)and the ongoing job hunt after and how you have answered any questions about it when you have had a complete break from work so done nothing work related in the break.

Originally posted by curtis View Post
    how you have answered any questions about it when you have had a complete break from work so done nothing work related in the break.
    In my experience agents worry about it a lot more than clients! If its anything < 3 months then I don't put anything on the CV, but I've got 2 gaps longer than that where I've just put 'travelling'.

Comment

Now I know gaps on CV's have been mentioned before but over the weekend I was thinking a lot about how I work and plans for the future and what I would like to do longer term.

I do plan on taking a lot more breaks in-between contracts and get more of that work life balance. I know a lot of people on here already work like this and I suppose I wanted to get their feedback as to whether choosing to take time off has it effected attitudes (agency/clients)and the ongoing job hunt after and how you have answered any questions about it when you have had a complete break from work so done nothing work related in the break.
      Agents are stupid regarding breaks in a contractor's cv. Many clients are too. We're supposed to be a flexible 'workforce' yet, they almost demand no breaks in your cv and seem to prefer candidates for roles to have a record of 'long contracts' on their cv.

I know for a fact crapita want 'explanations' for breaks longer than 28 days while most clients seem ok with breaks of 3 months. Neither of these take account of work \ life balance. Project Partners last year asked me to provide a 'character witness' to clarify and explain why I had a break of 3 months on my cv.

They said it was the client who needed this but I know it wasnt as I had worked for the same client just over a year previous plus so they already knew about this break.

I now put one sentence on my cv to explain any gaps. Whether the thicko agents and their clients take notice is anyone's guess.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Project Partners last year asked me to provide a 'character witness' to clarify and explain why I had a break of 3 months on my cv.
        My current job the agent wanted one if I had been out longer than a month in the last 2 years. Who do you give as 'Character Witness'? If I'm in-between jobs I don't announce it to the few close friends I have its only if we happen to meet up and it comes up it might get mentioned.

What do they ask them, surely if you were doing anything dodgy to would pick someone who would just lie for you, they seem a bit pointless?? I assume you can't give your other half as one who would be the best person to confirm what you were doing in which case unless you let everyone know what your up to the person you give won't be sure, seems stupid!!!
        Last edited by curtis; 7 May 2013, 09:15.

Comment

Gaps on CV

I just round up into months, ie jun - sept then oct - mar, could cover a two month gap easy from 2nd Sept to 30th Oct....

Comment

BolshieBastard, what reasons do you give on your CV?

Like I said when I want to eventually start taking more breaks in-between contracts they are going to be just that 'breaks'. I won't be on courses or doing self training they will be doing anything else but working! If frustrates me slightly you have to justify them when like was said we are 'a flexible workforce'.

Don't remember this when I used to temp many many many moons ago after college and I only got work once now and then.

Comment

I've got consistent gaps on my CV and have only been asked once by a pimp. I find it a good way of discerning which pimps you want to deal with as the inexperienced ones are the ones who get their knickers in a twist over gaps.

Never been asked about them in interviews.

As long as you are matter of fact that it is a decision that you wish to have time off then fine.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

My current job the agent wanted one if I had been out longer than a month in the last 2 years. Who do you give as 'Character Witness'? If I'm in-between jobs I don't announce it to the few close friends I have its only if we happen to meet up and it comes up it might get mentioned.

What do they ask them, surely if you were doing anything dodgy to would pick someone who would just lie for you, they seem a bit pointless?? I assume you can't give your other half as one who would be the best person to confirm what you were doing in which case unless you let everyone know what your up to the person you give won't be sure, seems stupid!!!
                This is what I said to project partners, that I dont go around telling people Im not working or the reasons why ie lifestyle choice etc.

They ask for them because they treat all applications like they are dealing for a permie roles. I've worked in banking for the last 10 years and dont have a problem disclosing info. But wanting a character witness for a break was just ludicrous.

They couldnt figure it out so, in the end I told them to shove their job.

Originally posted by stek View Post
                I just round up into months, ie jun - sept then oct - mar, could cover a two month gap easy from 2nd Sept to 30th Oct....
                Yep I do that as well. It works for gaps of around 3 months but doesnt have te same impact above 3 or 4 months.

BolshieBastard, what reasons do you give on your CV?

Like I said when I want to eventually start taking more breaks in-between contracts they are going to be just that 'breaks'. I won't be on courses or doing self training they will be doing anything else but working! If frustrates me slightly you have to justify them when like was said we are 'a flexible workforce'.

Don't remember this when I used to temp many many many moons ago after college and I only got work once now and then.
                I just put the actual reason, ie seeking next contract, work \ lifestyle break, skills refresh etc.
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

As the others have said it's only inexperienced agents and fu*kwitted ones who ask about gaps.

I was actually asked by one agent to change my CV and put in a line for my breaks. I refused to and got a contract elsewhere.

Clients never ask.

Even when I was permie and went travelling for a few months so resigned from one job and came back to find another, the client didn't even ask me about it at interview. I actually brought it up myself as we were discussing interests.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

technically, you are in continuous employment for your Ltd...
                    Join IPSE

Comment

Working...
                    X