• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Gaps on CV

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Gaps on CV"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    If I have a particularly long period without a contract I put:

Originally posted by Doodab's CV
    Sabbatical

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by BHicks View Post
    For the last couple of roles that I've had (all in the Financial sector), the screening forms have been very explicit to state that if you were contracting via a Ltd company, they want the details of the relevant agency so they can verify the dates associated with that assignment.

Stupid and annoying? Definitely, but then so is having to sit through yet another variation on the internal training for Money Laundering etc. It's scary how crap some of these are.
    Correct. You wont get away with just putting your co as your employer in the financial sector. Not only that, a number of outsourcing companies such as crapita are the same ie cant just put your co and, want explanations for breaks longer than 28 days.

Needless to say, I dont apply for any role via crapita and one or two others.

Leave a comment:

• BHicks
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post

On "screening forms" from Checking agencies, I simply state that I've been "self-employed" (they don't understand the concept of Contracting) for the same company for 25 years. I use my Accountant as a reference for them. Never had a problem using this approach.
    For the last couple of roles that I've had (all in the Financial sector), the screening forms have been very explicit to state that if you were contracting via a Ltd company, they want the details of the relevant agency so they can verify the dates associated with that assignment.

Stupid and annoying? Definitely, but then so is having to sit through yet another variation on the internal training for Money Laundering etc. It's scary how crap some of these are.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by Boo View Post
    What part of "permie" are you missing, MyUserName ?

Boo
    Which part did he miss when he went for 3 interviews over the course of 3 days?!

Leave a comment:

• Boo
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    Why?
    What part of "permie" are you missing, MyUserName ?

Boo

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by DieScum View Post

I've had one agent pretty much hang up when I expIlained I work for myself, but good riddance.
    The agent was probably fishing.

I've noticed that when I don't put the proper name of my direct clients on CV don't get so many calls.

Clients don't seem to mind or see it as positive. They tend to take it at face value while agents are massively more cynical/observant.
    Clients have staff who take sabbticals so they can go travelling, do charity work etc.

Agents presume that everyone is covering up a prison sentence, or in the case of women the birth of their latest child.

When asked about it I just talk about the technical projects enthusiastically but explain I'm sick of doing the sales side.

Part of being a contractor - you have to sell yourself with the majority of organisations.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Had a 75k permie offer last week after 3 interviews in 3 days with them. Decided to turn it down but I have no way of knowing how many look at the CV and bin it without contacting me.
    Why?

Leave a comment:

• rurffy
    replied
    I'm dealing with this for the first time at the moment. It's been a year since my last proper gig. In that time I've taken some time off and done casual work. I put down on my CV that I'm working for my LTD and include details of the casual work (web design, delivering training).

It's kind of a weird one because I'm just doing odds and ends while I wait for something I want to do to come along but it is something I'm actually doing.

I've had one agent pretty much hang up when I explained I work for myself, but good riddance. Clients don't seem to mind or see it as positive. They tend to take it at face value while agents are massively more cynical/observant.

When asked about it I just talk about the technical projects enthusiastically but explain I'm sick of doing the sales side.

Had a 75k permie offer last week after 3 interviews in 3 days with them. Decided to turn it down but I have no way of knowing how many look at the CV and bin it without contacting me.
    hmmmm 75k down? hmmmm

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by Contreras View Post
    I don't list contract dates on my CV and nobody ever mentions it.
    This^

(Well, I actually round dates to the nearest year; I don't put month dates on my c.v. A tip I got from this very forum. Works a treat.)

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
    But then I don't go after banking or SC roles either.
    I do go for Banking roles.

The gaps I never mention until someone asks, which they never do as they aren't on my c.v.

On "screening forms" from Checking agencies, I simply state that I've been "self-employed" (they don't understand the concept of Contracting) for the same company for 25 years. I use my Accountant as a reference for them. Never had a problem using this approach.

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I have a 7 month gap 2 years ago and nobody ever mentions it.
    I don't list contract dates on my CV and nobody ever mentions it.

But then I don't go after banking or SC roles either.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    I have a 7 month gap 2 years ago and nobody ever mentions it.

Leave a comment:

• evilagent
    replied
    If the gap is just a few weeks, you just put the start date of projects on your CV, and not the end date.

Generally, gaps, if they are far enough in the past nobody bothers about. As an ex-contractor, I tended to take the last 2 weeks of Dec and first 2 weeks of Jan off as holidays!!

If the gaps are more recent, within the past 6-12 months, my experience is that clients are interested as to why in case its a trend they should be aware of. Here again, they need to be several weeks long before a client becomes interested.
    Any agent who gives you grief over it clearly fails to understand the nature of being freelance.

A few weeks off here or there should be seen as the perks of contracting.
    I wouldnt bother to mention gaps unless asked.
    Personally speaking, I would ask, just to get a sense of the character of the contractor, but not necessarily pass this onto the client.

Leave a comment:

• DieScum
    replied
    I'm dealing with this for the first time at the moment. It's been a year since my last proper gig. In that time I've taken some time off and done casual work. I put down on my CV that I'm working for my LTD and include details of the casual work (web design, delivering training).

It's kind of a weird one because I'm just doing odds and ends while I wait for something I want to do to come along but it is something I'm actually doing.

I've had one agent pretty much hang up when I explained I work for myself, but good riddance. Clients don't seem to mind or see it as positive. They tend to take it at face value while agents are massively more cynical/observant.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by curtis View Post
    Now I know gaps on CV's have been mentioned before but over the weekend I was thinking a lot about how I work and plans for the future and what I would like to do longer term.
    Sorry to sound like NLUK, but this is old ground we've covered a gazillion times before and can be researched (eyes, top-right. )

For the record, 25 years contracting here, and I've always taken breaks of 6 months every couple of years or so. Never been a problem, as long as you are straight with clients and forceful with agents.

I'm on a break as we speak. Loving every moment of it too.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by Alias View Post
    technically, you are in continuous employment for your Ltd...
    Yes, we know that. Agents and clients dont see it the same way though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X