• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why a legal contract?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why a legal contract?

Why should a freelance developer need a contract? If I have a service to offer a company, and that service is knocking out code, why should it be any different to if the service I was offering was washing cars or mowing lawns?

I've never had to sign a time-sheet from my window cleaner? When my boiler pops and a plumber turns up to remedy the problem, albeit temporarily and costly, I've never had to sit and negotiate terms and wait for his legal department to ensure the contract ensures he won't be in some horrible tax position......

Why do I need a signed legal contract for one and not the other?

How does the taxman decide which Ltd companies to pull? What is going to highlight my company name in bright pink as a prime IR35 candidate???????

Originally posted by OnceStonedRose View Post
    Why should a freelance developer need a contract? If I have a service to offer a company, and that service is knocking out code, why should it be any different to if the service I was offering was washing cars or mowing lawns?

I've never had to sign a time-sheet from my window cleaner?
    Your window cleaner charges £5 per week, not tens of thousands of pounds.

When my boiler pops and a plumber turns up to remedy the problem, albeit temporarily and costly, I've never had to sit and negotiate terms and wait for his legal department to ensure the contract ensures he won't be in some horrible tax position......
    Your plumber charges estimate £200 for a one-off job, not tens of thousands of pounds.

If you really think you don't need a contract, try doing some work for someone without one. GOOD LUCK
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

The amount of money should make no difference whatsoever legally? I could knock out a chuck of code and get £8k from one client in a month, my Visual Apparatus Engineer could wash 1600 windows during the same period charge a fiver a pop and have the same wedge? What's the difference really?

Comment

The amount of money should make no difference whatsoever legally? I could knock out a chuck of code and get £8k from one client in a month, my Visual Apparatus Engineer could wash 1600 windows during the same period charge a fiver a pop and have the same wedge? What's the difference really?
        If i were washing 1600 windows at £5 each, i'd want a signed contract

Comment

No, you'd want 1600 signed contracts yeah????

Why should I need a contract? I take the risk, they decide they don't wanna pay?????, I either get paid or don't? How could this be construed as "Employment in disguise"? Surely less is more?

Comment

No, you'd want 1600 signed contracts yeah????

Why should I need a contract? I take the risk, they decide they don't wanna pay?????, I either get paid or don't? How could this be construed as "Employment in disguise"? Surely less is more?
            No, just the one contract would suffice. I'd want this incase, at the end of the job, the chump who i'm cleaning the windows for says, "You want £5 PER WINDOW? I meant £5 for the whole job".

If you can't see the point of a contract when big monies are involved, well, how can I put it...

Comment

Why a legal contract?

It's to stop us claiming employee rights because we are disguised employees.

The window cleaner isn't...

Comment

It's all about managing risk by both parties.

If you have 1600 clients owing you £5 each, the chances of you not being paid £8k is incredibly slim. If you have one customer owing you that amount, then it's pretty foolish to enter into that agreement without formalising the arrangement for when and how that payment will be made.

Likewise, if you pay someone a fiver and they don't deliver, then that's a low risk - ultimately it doesn't matter too much if your windows remain dirty. If you pay someone £8k to deliver, then you would be stupid not to document exactly what you are paying for, and when to expect delivery.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Spin it around... Would you want to pay someone a good chunk of money to help (or hinder if it went wrong) your business with nothing in place?

You need a legal document as it has many point in it such as when you get paid, your obligations, their obligations etc etc... It protects both parties. Just imagine the tulip that would kick up if there wasn't one and client wanted to get rid or not pay you.

And technically you do have a contract of sorts with someone washing your car. He says he will wash it for x pounds, you say ok. You have entered in to a legal contract with him. He doesn't wash it you don't have to pay. It's the lack of complexity that negates the need for a signed document.

I have to say it is pretty bloody poor business sense and to some extent, common sense, if you cannot see why this is required, particularly bearing in mind if covers your arse if it all goes wrong as well.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

My question was more from the point of tax-man coming knocking. When he says he wants to root through contracts, if a freelance developer turns round and says, "root through what?????" he say "your contracts" and freelancer says, in a tree hugging, all is cool in the world kinda way, "naaaaah maaaannnnnnn. I don't do contracts bro... Word is bond"

What's the impact? What they gonna step up to now?

Comment

Working...
                    X