• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interviews in a public place

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interviews in a public place

What are your thoughts on organisations that want to conduct interviews in a public place?

I ask because I find it a bit weird and inappropriate, and wanted to know if it was just me that feels this way. Whenever organisations ask me to meet them in a place that isn't where they do business, I automatically think "What is it that they don't want me to see?" When the venue they choose is also open to the public, such as a coffee shop or fast food outlet, I additionally think that they haven't given much thought to the necessary privacy of the process. A noisy Starbucks in front of an audience of schoolkids and mums with pushchairs isn't the place to grill me on my private career history and salary expectations, and I'd hope isn't the place that any credible organisation would choose to discuss their confidential skills gap and business challenges.

I stress that I'm not talking here about interviews where distance is an issue, and each party is having to travel to meet the other in some best compromise location that's equidistant from each. I'm talking about situations where their place of business is in the locale where the meeting is taking place, they just decide not to meet in their own offices.

I've given this approach a whirl on a previous occasion, and tbh based on that experience it's a big red flag for me. Even where space is at a premium (which is in itself a red flag, but might be manageable with the right handling), I can't see any excuse for choosing McDonalds over a video call conducted via Skype. If you can get yourself to a room that's comfortable for one person and that has internet access, you should be able to facilitate that. If you can't even find a room for one person with basic facilities such as the internet, then how can you ever hope to run a successful business?

Im having a strong sense of deja vu with this post.

Comment

The companies that have interviewed me in a public place haven't really conducted proper interviews.

They are simply a meeting to check that each party understands what the other is about. If anything else more formal face-to-face is needed after that it takes place in an office.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Yes, my eidetic memory is working as should.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...yesterday.html

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
        This one was held in the soft seating area of their on-site canteen, and they spent the first 35 minutes or so of the hour we spoke telling me what they wanted, before handing over to me to let me explain how I could help fulfil their brief. Within that time, there were a couple of groups of existing employees nearby having social conversations at about the same noise level as we were trying to speak. I can't blame my bad performance just on that, though. I simply had an off day for once. I wouldn't have given me the gig if I had been interviewing me based on my performance at interview. Bah humbug.

Never mind, keep looking.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
          Yes, my eidetic memory is working as should.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...yesterday.html
          I'd forgotten I'd posted about my last experience of interviewing this way.

Another organisation came up again last week, this time for a permie role rather than a contract, asking to interview the same way. This time around I made clear in advance that a public place wouldn't be suitable, and we'll consequently be holding our meeting at their offices instead. It got me thinking about how many organisations work this way, and how candidates feel about it.

Anyway, I hope that NLUK is paying you a good rate for your sub-contracted efforts to ensure that topics are discussed once and once only on CUK, never to be revisited for fresh insights or opinions.

Comment

I've had an "interview" in a pub over drinks.

As SueEllen said, it's more an informal chat to see if we are on the same page, which we weren't - not even in the same book, or even the same bookshelf. So I saved myself losing half a days invoiceable work for their formal interview process - and got a free drink out of it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              I don't mind where the interviews are, I even had one outside sat on a picnic table at a busy service station (and that was my suggestion!)

I leave details like working from home and the rest till after the interview. I might mention them during the interview but I prefer to discuss those with the upper hand of having an offer on the table.
              WHS
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                The companies that have interviewed me in a public place haven't really conducted proper interviews.

They are simply a meeting to check that each party understands what the other is about. If anything else more formal face-to-face is needed after that it takes place in an office.
                I'd agree. I'm travelling thirty-odd miles each direction for this latest meet-up, though, so frankly I expect them to make better use of the time I'm investing than just a quick hello and see if your face fits. We could do that much via telephone or Skype.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                  I've had an "interview" in a pub over drinks.

As SueEllen said, it's more an informal chat to see if we are on the same page, which we weren't - not even in the same book, or even the same bookshelf. So I saved myself losing half a days invoiceable work for their formal interview process - and got a free drink out of it as well.

A pub really would be taking the pee, I think. Unless they were looking for a barmaid or wine taster.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    WHS
                    Sorry, eUK has already snapped up this particular NLUK subcontract.

Comment

Working...
                    X