• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract job in my previous permanent company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract job in my previous permanent company

Hi All,

I worked for a Financial company as a permanent employee for 2 years and i resigned from that job stating some family related issues and i worked as a contractor for 2 months for another company. This contract is going to end soon.

Now in the same permanent company similar to the role i worked they have advertised a new contract role.

1. Is it OK to work as contractor in the company where i worked as a permanent employee?
    2. Can i speak directly to my previous Manager or go through the Agency for that Job?
    3. How about IR35 in this case?

Please reply.
    Last edited by Software; 13 May 2012, 10:10.

Originally posted by Software View Post
    Hi All,

I worked for a Financial company as a permanent employee for 2 years and i resigned from that job stating some family related issues and i worked as a contractor for 2 months for another company. This contract is going to end soon.

Now in the same permanent company similar to the role i worked they have advertised a new contract role.

1. Is it OK to work as contractor in the company where i worked as a permanent employee?
    2. Can i speak directly to my previous Manager or go through the Agency for that Job?

Please reply.
    Go direct because at least it may ensure an interview. However Friday to Monday contracting is the reason for IR35 so be prepared to pay it.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

1. Depends on the company policy. Some companies won't touch you again for a few months to a year.

2. You can try but again depends on the company policy. Some companies will interview you then refer you to the agent as they don't want to deal with loads of small suppliers.

3. If you do get the role then you need to get your contract reviewed explaining the situation to the reviewer. You should always get contracts reviewed anyway as lots of agents (not all) stick in horrible clauses that can screw you and direct clients sometime write really silly clauses.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

1. Yes
        2. Yes, direct.
        3. You'll be so far inside IR35 you'll never be able to see the light of being outside it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
          3. You'll be so far inside IR35 you'll never be able to see the light of being outside it.
          This^

(Note to OP: Don't kid yourself, or let anyone of this forum kid you, that "Having your contract reviewed and joining the PCG..." is going to change this.)
          nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
            This^

(Note to OP: Don't kid yourself, or let anyone of this forum kid you, that "Having your contract reviewed and joining the PCG..." is going to change this.)
            So what's the general consensus on how long away is needed to avoid being inside IR35?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
              So what's the general consensus on how long away is needed to avoid being inside IR35?
              If only life were so simple...

(See my sig. for advice. )
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
                I don't think you can put a hard and fast rule on it. Since the OP is basically having two months out before going back to do the same job, I'm not convinced that any break is a good defence.

If you can prove (and the client will back you up) that you are in a different role and are not an employee, then there's no reason to even have a break. To go back to the same job and try and argue that you aren't an employee isn't something I would feel comfortable arguing with HMRC.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  I don't think you can put a hard and fast rule on it. Since the OP is basically having two months out before going back to do the same job, I'm not convinced that any break is a good defence.
                  The OP needs to confirm it is exactly the same job not a similar one.

And that can only be done by talking to the client, their ex-employer.

Also the more bits of paper they have to prove that it's not the same role i.e. their old contract of employment with verbal back up from the client would help them.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

1. Yes, as long as you didn't get a tax free redundancy payout when you left.
                    2. Absolutely, talk to the manager direct. Don't get the parasitic agencies involved unless you have to. If they want an agency in the relationship then it's better if you have already done the deal and the agency will take a minimal cut. Also going direct means that they agency won't put up anyone else in competition to you.
                    3. Do HMRC's IR35 assessment - contracting for a client who you have previously been an employee of will put you in the very high risk category. The only way you could really be outside IR35 is if you are running a consultancy business employing a number of people that you provide back to the client. Going straight back and doing your old job is a big no no and that is what IR35 was specifically setup to target.
                    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                    X