• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Want gig in the South West - how to go about finding it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Time was, you wanted work in Bristol you'd talk to Sandersons. these days they've been taken over tby the bean coutners, all the good guys have scattered and the ones that are left fulfil your every expectation of agent's abilities to know their market and their contractors. So Jobserve is your friend.

I've lived in Bristol for all the 16 years I've been freelance. I've had two gigs here, and one of those was in Bath. However, the catchment area for clients is as big as Greater London but with much better motorways, it depends how far you want to drive each day.
    +1

Down here 10 years next month and the only time I have worked in the same part of england is when I work from home. Lots of people in Bristol and property is quite expensive. There must be freelance jobs somewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
      I've been working in the South West for 25 months now and cant seem to get anything near home- in the North West
      The joys of contracting eh?
      Swindon? The South West? How dare you!

Comment

I live in Plymouth and have been contracting for 4 years. Closest role I have had is Exeter which I managed to wangle £350 for which was lucky cause it was at the beginning of 2009. To be honest though now I come to London and have a nice apartment and travel first class and I'm still far better off than taking a role locally.

Good luck with the hunt - I think I got a mail the other day from PeopleSource (Bristol) regard a SSIS role in the SW. You might want to tap them up.

Comment

Originally posted by ribble View Post
          I live in Plymouth and have been contracting for 4 years. Closest role I have had is Exeter which I managed to wangle £350 for which was lucky cause it was at the beginning of 2009. To be honest though now I come to London and have a nice apartment and travel first class and I'm still far better off than taking a role locally.

Good luck with the hunt - I think I got a mail the other day from PeopleSource (Bristol) regard a SSIS role in the SW. You might want to tap them up.
          Thanks - I'm looking at PeopleSource's website just now

Comment

I wouldn't look further than Bristol, Gloucester, Cheltenham or Cardiff, once you head west of Bristol the rates fall off a cliff.

There are some jokers who try to get contractors in down in Taunton but they want to pay comparative permy rates, avoid.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Saw a couple of SQL/BI roles in the SW on jobserver today paying up to 425/day which is pretty good going...

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                I wouldn't look further than Bristol, Gloucester, Cheltenham or Cardiff, once you head west of Bristol the rates fall off a cliff.

There are some jokers who try to get contractors in down in Taunton but they want to pay comparative permy rates, avoid.
                That will be those wags from the MET Office then

Thats a can of worms that needs opening. They regularly pop up in the news wanting the next and biggest compute arrays. However last year they wanted an Architect to review Amazon and other cloud strategies with serious enterprise knowledge and wouldn't pay more than £275 a day wonder who gave up 500 a day to do that then? and if they did I wonder how much enterprise experience they had...

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                  Saw a couple of SQL/BI roles in the SW on jobserver today paying up to 425/day which is pretty good going...
                  Those would be in Taunton and they're the only "South West" job ads that I've followed up that are actually anywhere near the SW. Responded to one today - this South West turned out to be Reading :O

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                    That will be those wags from the MET Office then

Thats a can of worms that needs opening. They regularly pop up in the news wanting the next and biggest compute arrays. However last year they wanted an Architect to review Amazon and other cloud strategies with serious enterprise knowledge and wouldn't pay more than £275 a day wonder who gave up 500 a day to do that then? and if they did I wonder how much enterprise experience they had...
                    Met Office is Exeter, Taunton is UK Hydrographics Office, and I know from first hand experience the rates the MO are very good.
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

And don't forget both Liverpool Victoria and Freinds Provident are in Exeter.

that said there are huge number of major comapnies and organisations in Bristol, ranging form all the major banks and finance houses, several HMG sites that aren't the MOD, three major telecoms companies and a host of smaller but still significant people. Hiring has always been quite strong on the word-of-mouth element though...
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X