• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Seperate CV's for Contract & Perm Roles?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seperate CV's for Contract & Perm Roles?

Afternoon.
    Current contract is coming to an end soon and am waiting to hear if they are going to extend or not.
    Have been applying for permanent roles in the meantime as want to learn some better skills (And then go contracting again)
    For the people amongst you who have been considering perm roles in these bleak times, have you re-written your CV?
    My CV which I use for contract roles has job title eg "Contract Third Line Support" - Would I be better dropping the "Contract" bit even though looking at my CV it is obvious the the last few years worth have been contract roles?

Any other advice for securing perm role rather than contact (I know this is a contractor site but I know others are considering the dark side atm!)

Any help appreciated.

Yes, a separate CV is required. They will be very similar, but the permie one needs to be more soft skills, team player, touchy-feely, arse-licky, vulnerable yes-man than the dynamic, balls-of-steel, übergeek, have-a-go contracting one.

That is, on the permie one mention your health & safety and first aid course under 'training' and under 'achievements' big up how you contributed to the team and in your 'profile' say how you relish the opportunity for growth beyond the job description and how you gain fulfilment from doing mind-bendingly stupid things for ungrateful, overpaid winkers that never get implemented anyway and you have no desire to go home of an evening or weekends or take holidays because ...

Sorry, is my bitterness showing? The last bit might be unnecessary - they take it as read.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Cheers for the reply - Will have to do a bit of creative writing...
      Not done any first aid training though
      Would you get rid of anything that says "Contract" in previous roles though?

Comment

Originally posted by Jefferson View Post
        Would you get rid of anything that says "Contract" in previous roles though?
        Yes.

Depending on how long your contract are they will work out if you are a contractor or not.

If they can't then give them rubbish about looking for new challenges, etc.

Lots of permie employers don't give proper references nowadays they just give the dates you worked for them so giving the agency is fine.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I think the key thing is to have your reasons for wanting to look for permanent employment ready at interview (once you get that far).

There is some suspicion when interviewing a long term contractor (say 2 years) for a permie job that you could go through all the interviewing HR stuff then lose them because they found a contract in the meantime. You need to be able to convince them that your reasons for wanting to go permanent are more solid than "I haven't found a contract".

Comment

I go for interviews for permanent and contract roles and use a similar CV, I tend to only update my CV when it's a job I really, really want.

Then again I get asked for more permie roles so that's probably telling me I need to make it sound more suitable for contracting.

OP, I do find when you go for permanent interviews that it's really soul destroying listening to the old cliches like "we work hard and we play hard here, it's a really fun environment". I usually think "stuck in this office is fun?".

And having to answer seriously where you will be five years from now. At least with contracting you just have to show you can do the job. I think I need to change careers, my cynicism is really beginning to show.

What other posters say about having to say why you want a permanent job is true, I've interviewed people to work alongside me for permanent roles before, it's really important that they're capable, likeable, and will ideally stay for a while so I didn't have to do the interviewing process all over again.

[EDIT] For permanent interviews...I'd often say that it's time you want to progress into a proper career, and that this company is such a great fit for you blah blah... you could really envision yourself contributing to this department/company's growth etc etc. If the company is a good place to work (colleagues respect each other, enthusiastic about their work, you can contribute suggestions/new ideas) this is easier to do.. if you find that out in advance you can slip it in at interview, say that is the environment you want to be in. Obviously, that is utopia.
            Last edited by northernrampage; 12 January 2010, 17:32. Reason: something to add

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              Yes, a separate CV is required.
              <snipped>
              ....................big up how you contributed to the team and in your 'profile' say how you relish the opportunity for growth beyond the job description and how you gain fulfilment from doing mind-bendingly stupid things for ungrateful, overpaid winkers that never get implemented anyway and you have no desire to go home of an evening or weekends or take holidays because.
              That'll be sure to get you the job.

My god, how glad I am I haven't had to do all that 5h1t the last few years. Long may it last.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Thanks for the replies and advice.
                I have found with some of the agents I have spoken to after applying for a perm position that they pull up my CV and say
                "Oh you're a contractor. I'm afraid they don't like contractors." so not getting to interview stage at the moment.
                Can see their point as well as sure many do move on after a short space of time.
                Will keep plugging away & have ammended my CV so will see if I get any more response.
                May get a contract extension here but am bored, bored, bored and do actually want to progress my career now, although would definitely take an extension if offered and keep looking.
                Still, easy day here today as all the permies are making snowmen.. Sorry, I mean "working from home"

Comment

Working...
                X