• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am going to wait until May, that was always the plan. I have little money but that is a result of being in a permanent job and many other factors that I don't want to discuss here. Having thought about this move for many years against differing circumstances, I have calculated all the possible outcomes.

Its catch 22. I don't earn enough to save anything reasonable so it is always going to be a risk for me to make the move.

Troll - your statement was reasonably funny, but only one of the three statements was actually accurate..

Comment

Originally posted by wantacontract View Post
      1. Don't buy an expensive car.......
      Agreed, read the previous threads on bangernomics. Get yourself a <£1K motor until you can afford something better.

Comment

Originally posted by js2008 View Post
        I am looking to move into contracting having been in permanent positions for too long. I have had a company car for the last 5 years. My driving record is not good, and therefore insurance will be high.

I have no money to finance a car, so will likely have to get a loan to pay for it, ideally 12k is my maximum. I am looking for something reliable and cost effective, estimated annual mileage including business is 25000. The only requirements is that the car has air con and is the minimum physical size is similar to a VW golf. Anyone have any suggestions?
        VW golf GTDi
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Get yourself a cheap Toyota Avensis. Plenty of choice for under 2k and they just run and run. I've clocked up 60k in the last 4 years and only had to buy 4 new tyres and a couple of light bulbs.

I've got a petrol 1.6 that does about 40mpg on motorway runs but the 1.8 or diesels are probably better choice.

Comment

Failing which, get some cash, a truster mechanic and go get a car here from here
            http://www.eastcoastsalvage.co.uk/default.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by 2uk View Post
              Audi A3 , had it 7 days and already have a chick co-worker giving me looks and smiles all the time. They can smell it
              Aye, she has a sideboard that needs moving

Comment

Originally posted by bellymonster View Post
                Get yourself a cheap Toyota Avensis. Plenty of choice for under 2k and they just run and run. I've clocked up 60k in the last 4 years and only had to buy 4 new tyres and a couple of light bulbs.

I've got a petrol 1.6 that does about 40mpg on motorway runs but the 1.8 or diesels are probably better choice.
                The Avensis is a huge car. I was going to suggest a Corolla. I have a Yaris and it's been great, but I figure the Corolla is a better size for you. But apparently the newer Focuses are pretty good too.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                  And you only paid 3K more for it than you should have. Well done
                  Somebody tell me is Discoue a cute chick or not ? . Ohh who am i kiddin ..

Comment

Bad news

The last car I owned was in the 80's and since then I've been driving the cars of companies or SWMBO. In the process of looking at cars at the moment, and whilst I would love to go down the bangernomics route, the family situation rules that one out.

So, loathe as I am to say it, Vectra, Mondeo, Focus, all of these come out very well in terms of cost / running cost / maintennence. Slightly out of this bracket is the Mazda 6, which gives you a lot more for the cash IMHO.

NN
                    "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
                    "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by 2uk View Post
                      Audi A3 , had it 7 days and already have a chick co-worker giving me looks and smiles all the time. They can smell it
                      It's the Hai Karate they can smell and your bad taste in cars... A3 my @rse..what a naff car.

Comment

Working...
                      X