• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client names on CV?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client names on CV?

I've always put company/client names on my CV as I believe I have a decent selection of blue chips that look good in terms of experience.

However, I am concerned about unscrupulous agents who try to get hold my of my CV (or even already have it), in order to go through the clients and cold call them.

I was thinking of removing the names and just putting down something like "major international investment bank" or something like that. But you know the agent's first question is going to be to ask where I am currently working!

Does it even matter? What do you guys do?

How will agents know who to contact just from the company name? It's not like the agencies can't find out blue chip company names by themselves, or are some really that cr@p?

Comment

I just put my company's name on my CV and then list the contracts it had underneath, decscribing the client in the manner you suggest but not actually naming them.

When a pimp asks me who our current client is I just tell them that we (my company) has a confidentiality policy to not reveal client names. All the pimps I've told this to seem to accept it.
      Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN
        I've always put company/client names on my CV as I believe I have a decent selection of blue chips that look good in terms of experience.

However, I am concerned about unscrupulous agents who try to get hold my of my CV (or even already have it), in order to go through the clients and cold call them.

I was thinking of removing the names and just putting down something like "major international investment bank" or something like that. But you know the agent's first question is going to be to ask where I am currently working!

Does it even matter? What do you guys do?
        I think you should put the clients name on regardless, but do not give out names of individuals even for references until the job has been landed.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Agree with above, having the client name on your CV is not going to help them at all.

However if you usually also put down contact details of senior managers you have worked with in the company you may want to remove this snippet of info .

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
            Agree with above, having the client name on your CV is not going to help them at all
            I'm not so sure - it gives them the heads up for another company that does (or has) used contractors... I've no intention of making life easier for them
            Do what thou wilt

Comment

I enclose full contact details of all my clients including the name, phone details and photo of my contact there. The agents seem to like this although I don't seem to get many jobs
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black
                I'm not so sure - it gives them the heads up for another company that does (or has) used contractors... I've no intention of making life easier for them
                You honestly don't think they just cold call all businesses in the phone book anyway?

I regulary get e-mails and the occasional phone call from pimps trying to find out if they can place any contractors in my company........

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black
                  That I think is called cutting your nose off to spite your face.
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I agree that if you have well known companies on your CV then there is no problem, but I did some work for a startup company in a niche market and got lots of calls from agents who were obviously trying to find out more.

No idea if the company got any cold calls though, but I strongly suspect they did...

I also regularly get asked if I have applied elsewhere under the guise of not wanting to duplicate applications, but we all know they really want to see if they can muscle in on the action.
                    Back at the coal face

Comment

Working...
                    X