• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mentioning current client's name to agents.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mentioning current client's name to agents.

Do we tell agents the names of the current client when our contract is approaching the end and we are in the process of looking for the next contract ? This can prompt the agent to call the current client trying to get them another contractor. Should we care about this ? For example the agent that got us the current gig might go little mad on us …

Secondly , do we put the client names in the “past projects” section in the CV ?

I thought about this stuff following the golden rule “do not tell where you have interviewed”

Depends on the sector.

I have no problem telling people my last 2 contracts were for DHL and Tesco. They are so big that info is not really useful to them.

Comment

Originally posted by 2uk
      Do we tell agents the names of the current client when our contract is approaching the end and we are in the process of looking for the next contract ? This can prompt the agent to call the current client trying to get them another contractor. Should we care about this ? For example the agent that got us the current gig might go little mad on us …

Secondly , do we put the client names in the “past projects” section in the CV ?

I thought about this stuff following the golden rule “do not tell where you have interviewed”

I have been thinking about this. I have never put the clients name on a cv but I am thinking to hell with it. If the end client is stupid enough to use these people in the first place then they can bloody well have the hassle of ten calls a day from other agents.
      Soon they will get wise and source direct on jobserve.
      whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

I'd agree with the sock puppet. If its a large company then if doesn't really matter.
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

What amazes me about agents is their level of stupidity. I get a call from a agency girl, she asks me if I'm available for contract work. I say no, I'm in contract for the next 6 months. So she asks where I'm working at the moment, I say I'm not gonna tell you (naa na naa na naa).

But she obviously has my CV, with the current client listed at the top and with the dates clearly showing that I am still there.

I guess if these guys were any smarter they'd actually be doing the jobs they aim to fill.

Comment

I don't tell them anything. I rate agents up with lawyers and estate agents...

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN
              ....I say I'm not gonna tell you (naa na naa na naa). But she obviously has my CV, with the current client listed at the top and with the dates clearly showing that I am still there.
              hmmm. this works the other way round too.

i generally see no reason why not to explain to agents what i am doing and who i am doing it too and how long it will last. the only time i will be coy is if i am in negotiation with a new end-client where divulging information might jeapordize the contract.

i equally don't see the benefit in hiding agent and/or end-client details from cv or website. i think blue chip names and decent renewals is a good thing.

Comment

Well I don't tell agents who I am working for becuase they don't want to tell me who they are sending my CV to (cus' other agencies might steal secrets).

It works both ways.

Comment

I used to have past client names on there but took them all off when an agency (feck it, it was Hays. Sh!thouses) called all my past clients to hassle them.

Now I get pimps trying to ask me who I used to work for. I tell them it's confidential and ask for their client list. They stop then.

Comment

[QUOTE=Epiphone]I used to have past client names on there but took them all off when an agency (feck it, it was Hays. Sh!thouses) called all my past clients to hassle them. QUOTE]

but why would you care that an ex-client was getting calls from agents? they get calls from agents all the time! even if your cv was the source why would that bother you, the agent or the ex-client? well, ok so most clients don't want unsolicited agency calls but that's up to the client to filter and manage - not the contractor.

i suppose if an ex-client actually asked me to remove data from my personal or company cv then i would act differently but nobody ever has.

Comment

Working...
                    X