• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent requesting "references"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian
    This may be a dumb question, but exactly how do you source new contracts from our previous references?
    Do you ring them up, ask "Would you like a contractor" and the client says "Do you know what, we do need a contractor and it had completely slipped my mind!"

Surely if a contract is there then it's there, presumably with an agency already. The only reason you use our references is to get your foot in the door of a client and the all-important contact name that otherwise you wouldn't have a pig's ear of a chance in getting if you actually got off your ar$e and worked for it.

Rant over!
    Well, I am not a salesperson, however, what I do know of sales is everyone / thing is a lead. So, they call your references, previous companies, mother, someone you sat next to on the tube - and ask for you - knowing you aren't there, hoping they will be put through to someone they can add to their list for the future. Salespeople don't (usually) think about the now, they are thinking? about next week, month, year etc

HTH

Comment

Working...
    X