• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Contractor Portal - Sourcing new contracts - What do you want?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Contractor Portal - Sourcing new contracts - What do you want?

All,

I sort of stumbled upon this site after trying to do a bit of research.

I actually work for an IT Recruitment company (DP Connect) sourcing .NET / BizTalk / SharePoint Developers and can honestly say I am shocked to hear of so many horror stories regarding agencies.

It actually annoys me in fact to hear agents referred to as "Pimps" etc. I'd like to think we are one of the better agencies but am always keen to find out how we can improve things from the Contractors perspective.

Anyway, The reason for my post (and I may be putting my neck on the line!!) is I am in the process of looking at creating a Web Portal for our contractors to use, which will manage job applications etc.

I actually want to know how I can improve your experience of looking for work:

I want to know:

What infuraiates contractors about agencies? (Top 5 Things only!!)
    What do you want / need / look for when trying to find a new contract? Where do you find work?
    What would be your ideal scenario of finding work?
    How can we help you in the Contract hunting process?

These all sound like simple questions, and I am sure there are a lot of simple answers, but unless we ask these questions, we are never going to know.

Your help is much apreciated

Lee

I can't wait for the responses...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Don't worry lads/lasses. I can honestly say that DP Connect are one of the more decent agencies. They are a bit misguided in their legal advice, but then they're not lawyers and they were willing to listen.
      Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Never heard of them...but all I want from an agency is honesty...and some hot totty to take me out to lunch at renewal time....and weekly payment
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
          and some hot totty to take me out to lunch at renewal time....and weekly payment
          Put it this way, I've never spoken to a bloke there... And they pay fortnightly which isn't too bad. They also have a policy of naming the client when they ring up to offer you a gig, which is refreshing.

EDIT : And to the OP, I've spoken at length to my "pimp" and sent a few e-mails about your processes and the things you could have done better (particularly the fact that you were trying to push me into using a composite company which given the chancellor's speech this week was less than helpful - though I think the message finally got through to your accounts department). So hopefully my feedback is already on board.
          Last edited by Cowboy Bob; 7 December 2006, 21:32.
          Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by GreenhitheLee
            can honestly say I am shocked to hear of so many horror stories regarding agencies.
            Really?

Anyway, all I'd say that's required from agents is just don't screw us, but then they'd hardly have a business would they?
            Last edited by DeadKenny; 7 December 2006, 21:50.

Comment

Well then Lee

A bit of honesty up front is always a good idea.

Please be aware that we know that we are not your clients - your clients are your clients. You are using us for our mutual gain. Please do not try to confuse the 2 in your dealings with us. Generally we know the difference and anything else appears deceitful. There's nothing worse than an agent to tries to imply that we are their customers. You are our customers, although there is always an interesting grey area as you have to persuade us to work for you (and of course it never dawns on some contractors that this is indeed the case...)

Always work on the 'mutual gain' approach, that's my advice.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Don't waste our time pretending that you have lots of incredible opportunities for us only to try and find out:
                - who we are working for at the moment
                - how much we are being paid
                - give us some contact names...

I am sure there's more, but I'll leave it for my fellow contractors and forum visiting people
                Carpe Pactum

(does fuzzy logic tickle?)

Comment

Quite right. Until the fundamental contractor to EB, EB to client model changes that is not based on 'sales of our services' then it doesn't make that much difference how nice an EB might seem. They are all potential shafters simply because the client can lean on them so much. Ultimately, an EB will only treat each contractor as well as the client treats the EB in relation to that same contractor. Keeping their end client happy, even if its at their contractors expense, is their first and only priority. If it wasn't they would be out on their ear.

Anyway, in answer to the thread question:

If you really want to do some good for contractors, how about introducing a company policy of ensuring that the EB to client contract is in fact back-to-back with the client and allowing us to view it, if necessary. That way, when we get our own EB to contractor terms looked over by a solicitor to see that they are IR35 exempt they can see what the on-site conditions are we're likely to face. At the moment, this task is made impossible.

This alone is worth far more than any superficial gesturing - like responding to phone calls after leaving messages to enquire after jobs, giving feedback after interviews (which are normally only for the EBs benefit anyway so that they can prize useful info out of you about how the interview went so that they can prime their next candidate better if we're not offered ourselves), paying fortnightly, not scamming for leads and so on. None of which add much value to our own bottom line. What does matter is wasting cash on solicitor reviews when we're not sure of on-site working practices anyway until its much too late and then having the worry of looking over our shoulders wondering whether we should in fact be outside IR35.

Also, ensure you deal only with supply chain for procuring your own services and ours, not HR. Who the heck are HR anyway? I thought HR looked after staff interests?

Reducing your mark up percentages after every extension. After all, if you're only acting as a once a month payroll channel then it hardly justifies an ongoing or endless 25% mark up. I accept a high mark up is OK for the first contract because the introduction element and fee negotiation deserves a good reward - provided you don't claim that EB's 'find us work' or provide us with jobs'. We do that ourselves, when we go for interviews. However, ongoing high mark ups are certainly not justifiable. This is detrimental to contractor interests too, because sooner or later the client resents paying out so much and will end contracts sooner rather than later even if their skills are still required and opt for a cheaper alternative. Why should we pay for your greed?

Basically, what we want is substance, not fluffery. When I see signs of this happening that will be the day I will start championing the idea of third party supplier EBs.

End of story.

Comment

Basically, what we want is substance, not fluffery. When I see signs of this happening that will be the day I will start championing the idea of third party supplier EBs.
                    I guess that'll be the day we stop call them Pimps...
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X