• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV Review

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV

I have got five weeks left of a contract and have been putting my CV out there with recruiters. I get interest from them but no interviews lined up. I decided my CV still looks too much like a 'permie' CV rather than listing project work done and skills utilised. I have updated this and hope to see some better progress in the next couple of weeks :/

Comment

Originally posted by hypersouth View Post
      I have got five weeks left of a contract and have been putting my CV out there with recruiters. I get interest from them but no interviews lined up. I decided my CV still looks too much like a 'permie' CV rather than listing project work done and skills utilised. I have updated this and hope to see some better progress in the next couple of weeks :/
      Unless your cv is a pile of tulipe, it doesnt really matter (cue loads of comments of 'yes, it does!) on the format. Ive participated in some of these cv reviews. They are nothing more than an income generator and in my experience, pitched at the permie market with contractor 'tinkering' at the edges or available for an extra payment.

Some people have said they've had improved results having used a review service. That begs the question was their cv tulipe in a previously bouyant market and whether they ended up being more realistic in their rate expectations \ location etc?

In the current market, you've got to have all the skills not just the key skills requested by the client. Then you need a sprinkling of 'buzz' words but not forgetting the most important points; one, there has to be available roles to apply for and two, your rate must make it easy for the agent to make a very nice profit on the deal.

Of course there are always exceptions and no doubt one or two trumpet blowers will be along soon enough.

Comment

At five weeks you'll probably go in the bin for most. There seems to be a lot more people on the bench than gigs.

Have a read of the state of the market thread. I'll be willing to bet your CV is only a small part of the problem at the moment.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

There's no "right" CV.

Content is obviously key.

Expected format being a world apart if going to work for a relatively company or an IB.

A relatively young company may prefer a short and concise CV, usually engagements are shorter due to general project length and / or budget constraints, so contracts are often 6 months max in a lot of cases.

IB prefer a longer detailed CV, which aligns with using contractors for long running projects.
          BCBS239 compliance has run for a number of years, however most engaged contractors will be given the boot as each tranche comes to an end.
          However a lot with have worked for 2 years by that point.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            At five weeks you'll probably go in the bin for most. There seems to be a lot more people on the bench than gigs.

Have a read of the state of the market thread. I'll be willing to bet your CV is only a small part of the problem at the moment.
            Hi northernladuk,

I say 5 weeks, I am not doing the work onsite. I do it on evenings and weekends and it does not take up much time at all so I put myself forward as immediately available as I can do both at the same time. I'm a Northern lad too, Yorkshire!

Comment

Hi northernladuk,

I say 5 weeks, I am not doing the work onsite. I do it on evenings and weekends and it does not take up much time at all so I put myself forward as immediately available as I can do both at the same time. I'm a Northern lad too, Yorkshire!
              I've consulted with the rest of Yorkshire. Your username is blasphemous. Yorkshire shuns you.

Comment

Hi northernladuk,

Originally posted by Scratch It View Post
                I've consulted with the rest of Yorkshire. Your username is blasphemous. Yorkshire shuns you.
                Oi!!!!!

These are the professional forums, please carry on in this thread I have created here:-

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post2437352

Thanks
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  Oi!!!!!

These are the professional forums, please carry on in this thread I have created here:-

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post2437352

Thanks
                  Hahaha The username is purely for hiding my identity. Anyway sorry to hijack!

Comment

Working...
                  X