• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract ending, best way to handle?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
    I think this is important especially in niche areas - it's not the reality of the situation that people remember (i.e. that your 3 month contract was up) - if it meant you "left" a project in the tulip, in people's memories you become the guy that bailed when the going got tough, and other things you aren't around to defend yourself on
    LOL. Project wasnt left in the tulip, it was a bog standard rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat tasks that were tedious in the extreme. So no one was left in the tulip and as I said, the 3 month contract was completed.

That said, the organisation is well known for pissing contractors and agencies around so, no real surprise they came up with the bulltulip of contract not completed. IIRC, they even binned the project in the end.

Comment

In your circumstances I wouldn't raise the mention of end of contract. Just make sure everything is nice and tidy for whoever follows. Most of us will have been there, I have not renewed contracts for various reasons, inclusive of excess travelling, hours, didn't like the job. You will find it wont make any difference you will just walk out the door marked exit, I just ensure I never burn bridges, you never know when you will need it, or a link to or from the bridge.

Comment

As a contractor you will regularly have to look for new contracts. If you see this as long term you will want to go back to old clients. It's not like a permie job where once you get out of company you have a long term future at the new company. You will only have a 6 month contract. The other thing is that some contracts won't be great, so you have to be used to working in places you don't really like from time to time. You can never properly judge a contract before you accept it.

My advice deliver something useful before moving on, a 3 month contract will simply annoy the client because you haven't had time to work into it properly.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
        X