• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client using your CV to win work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    This...

It's not uncommon for them to try do it and you can't really blame them, they want business after all.
    It's not normal for a contractor to allow it or be any part of it though.
    The flip side is....

As an associate, you're direct, should be paid more and should simply add your skillset to the company's range of skills rather than being a named entity. HOWEVER, if you're a named entity, there goes your right of substitution as a sham and the Bishop of Bath and Wells method of probing will be engaged if investigated.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      The flip side is....

As an associate, you're direct, should be paid more and should simply add your skillset to the company's range of skills rather than being a named entity. HOWEVER, if you're a named entity, there goes your right of substitution as a sham and the Bishop of Bath and Wells method of probing will be engaged if investigated.
      Hmm. I don't understand this. As an associate you should be delivering what you were brought in for and that's it. No more engagement as no overarching agreement past the contract you are on. Moving on as part of a bid you should be named as your company delivering XYZ. So it should be Client in collaboration with Your LTD providing ABC & XYZ to meet the requirements for the tender.

Are we on the same page here?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hmm. I don't understand this. As an associate you should be delivering what you were brought in for and that's it. No more engagement as no overarching agreement past the contract you are on. Moving on as part of a bid you should be named as your company delivering XYZ. So it should be Client in collaboration with Your LTD providing ABC & XYZ to meet the requirements for the tender.

Are we on the same page here?
        Similar page.

I've known people work as associates, whereby their skillset is not in the consultancy's permanent portfolio and they are currently providing that skillset for the consultancy on a project. That additional skillset is marketed by the consultancy to clients because they have access to YourCo as an associate partner to help them win future business (and get you another project into the bargain). They should not, though, be naming NLUK as the possessor of that skillset. Does that make more sense?
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Similar page.

I've known people work as associates, whereby their skillset is not in the consultancy's permanent portfolio and they are currently providing that skillset for the consultancy on a project. That additional skillset is marketed by the consultancy to clients because they have access to YourCo as an associate partner to help them win future business (and get you another project into the bargain). They should not, though, be naming NLUK as the possessor of that skillset. Does that make more sense?
          Ah got you. Yes that's where I was trying to go.

Be different from the permie in a nutshell. Proper minefield but would be nice if you could pull it off properly.

Comment

Similar page.

This and by personalising your CV, with your name on it, as though you are "one of theirs" is a problem.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Ah got you. Same thinking. Be different from the permie in a nutshell. Proper minefield.
              Correct. But if Dave the associate is the only Oracle DBA in what is principally a Microsoft consultancy, Dave should not be named in person as the Oracle provider, but that the consultancy "boasts Microsoft and Oracle database expertise".

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                This and by personalising your CV, with your name on it, as though you are "one of theirs" is a problem.
                Yup. With an smart contractor, an understanding client and a fair wind those could work out quite nicely. B(generally)IDI

Comment

I believe many consultancies have a skills DB that employees are supposed to fill out so they can resource projects or pieces of work. This could make up part of a bid to demonstrate capability as well but never heard of them using a CV.

Fancy giving just a modicum of detail?
                  Correct. Some will do that to win the business on a promise of using that resource, sometimes it's a bait and switch.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpyjr View Post
                    Has anyone ever had a client use your CV to help them gain work? Is this normal?
                    I had a consultancy use my CV (with my permission) as part of their bid process for a specific project. If they had won the work then I would have been involved with the project in some way, shape or form (it was literally "pick the role that you want to do if we get this, because we'll need you on board to get it to work") so I had no problem with putting my company profile in their bid document.

They didn't win the work, unfortunately.
                    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Infosys presented my former client with 10 U.K. Based contractors CV's to win a bid, they won, 1st day 4 unknown BODS turn up, the 1st one was a system architect, DBA and project manager after 6 months training

Ohh how we laughed

I can still see the Project directors face as I told him the news

Comment

Working...
                      X