• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do agents prefer 1 page CVs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do agents prefer 1 page CVs?

I have re-written my CV, chopping it from 2 pages to 1. It covers 10 years and 5 companies. The last 2 clients get the most detail.

Considering I've heard agents and/or hiring managers spend about 7 seconds on a CV scan, I thought there's no point in having a second page.

Is it too brief? Does it make me look inexperienced (even though gigs are dated, does anyone notice this on a 7 seconds scan?)

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
    I have re-written my CV, chopping it from 2 pages to 1. It covers 10 years and 5 companies. The last 2 clients get the most detail.

Considering I've heard agents and/or hiring managers spend about 7 seconds on a CV scan, I thought there's no point in having a second page.

Is it too brief? Does it make me look inexperienced (even though gigs are dated, does anyone notice this on a 7 seconds scan?)
    TL/DR

I'd say it's how it's presented. I've never had a problem getting interviews with a 3-page cv. Depends what the end client culture is, but I have a six-page master cv that gets chopped down to 3 pages as a standard one but can easily be tweaked to 3 pages with different items for different requirements.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

It really depends what you do.

Keep it to 3 pages putting the most relevant information e.g. contact details (email, mobile), skills, last two roles in the first page. Put your other roles on the second page. On the last page put any relevant qualifications.

I personally found when I cut my CV down to 2 pages I got no calls. I upped it to 3 pages and got tonnes of calls.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

1 page??? Can't see that working in your favour TBH.

Yes they do only scan it and probably in most cases don't get to page two but that is because there is enough detail on that first page to give them what they need. To get it on one page id imagine you've had to water it down to the point all the detail they are looking for is missing.

The trick is getting enough information in a format they can't filter it very quickly, not just chopping it all out.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Mines fairly long 5 pager and I have always been advised to leave it as is.

YMMV.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            It really depends what you do.

Keep it to 3 pages putting the most relevant information e.g. contact details (email, mobile), skills, last two roles in the first page. Put your other roles on the second page. On the last page put any relevant qualifications.

I personally found when I cut my CV down to 2 pages I got no calls. I upped it to 3 pages and got tonnes of calls.
            Do you think page 3 is ever looked at? I'd be surprise it does. Gigs on page 3 must have been done years back, and might be less relevant?

Comment

Mine is two but must admit I'm starting to give very brief overviews of gigs from only a few years ago that is totally relevant so will probably have to switch to three shortly. Might be just getting precious and it will never get looked at so will have a re-think next time I apply.

IMO the actual length up to a point doesn't really matter. It's how it's presented and the detail. A one pager won't have enough detail and a 5 page plus could have too much wooly guff. Content is wrong regardless of length.

If you've done four 3 month gigs that gonna be at least 2 pages and only cover a year. OP is making far too many generalisations without thinking about it.
              Last edited by northernladuk; 19 January 2017, 17:13.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Do you think page 3 is ever looked at? I'd be surprise it does. Gigs on page 3 must have been done years back, and might be less relevant?
                Errrrrmmm given SEs post above it must be
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  Errrrrmmm given SEs post above it must be
                  You ever heard of the word 'coincidence'?

Comment

You ever heard of the word 'coincidence'?
                    It was a few years ago and I did ask a couple of agents their views.

One issue with short technology CVs is you don't look experienced. However if your CV is very long you look old. Either way they will pass over you.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X