• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Background Checks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Background Checks

I saw this on the BBC site and was interested to see what other contractors views are on this and especially those who work in Financial Services. The expense of using a background check company ourselves (HiredByMe is referred to but there are others) doesn't concern me (200 + 99 for each update) but the problem lies with the clientco accepting these checks and not those from their usual background check company that is on their PSL.

Why can it take so long before starting your new job? - BBC News
    Last edited by redgiant; 22 November 2016, 14:15.

I wouldn't bother.

I would get into a role that requires background checks and stay in industries that require them.

Then sort out some personal referees, your accountant and agencies so they can be done quickly.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

As someone going through even a very basic BPSS check at ClientCo that has been going on since August the system is broke, but whether or not there is a desire to get it changed is another question. My clients have passed it off to screening companies (the agencies themselves) so its not a new idea, its another body in a crowded pool
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        As someone going through even a very basic BPSS check at ClientCo that has been going on since August the system is broke, but whether or not there is a desire to get it changed is another question. My clients have passed it off to screening companies (the agencies themselves) so its not a new idea, its another body in a crowded pool
        Something is wrong there. I've been checked in 2 days. It had helped I had an enhanced DBS before hand and told all referees to answer immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Something is wrong there. I've been checked in 2 days. It had helped I had an enhanced DBS before hand and told all referees to answer immediately.
          I had SC clearance, but due to the incompetency of the agent who is acting as a screening company I have lost the chance to transfer the SC so had to settle for BPSS. As my bum is on the seat at the ClinetCo and I am making him money he has no incentive to do anything extra. All he has had to do was fill a form out and its took him three attempts to do that, only because in the end I filled the form out for him, sent it to him and send this is what you need to send to ClientCo
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            I had SC clearance, but due to the incompetency of the agent who is acting as a screening company I have lost the chance to transfer the SC so had to settle for BPSS. As my bum is on the seat at the ClinetCo and I am making him money he has no incentive to do anything extra. All he has had to do was fill a form out and its took him three attempts to do that, only because in the end I filled the form out for him, sent it to him and send this is what you need to send to ClientCo
            So when they do an audit to see that everyone has been checked, you get thrown off site.

What a nice ClientCo manager!

Btw if the role doesn't need higher level clearance they won't bother now.

Comment

Originally posted by redgiant View Post
              I saw this on the BBC site and was interested to see what other contractors views are on this and especially those who work in Financial Services. The expense of using a background check company ourselves (HiredByMe is referred to but there are others) doesn't concern me (200 + 99 for each update) but the problem lies with the clientco accepting these checks and not those from their usual background check company that is on their PSL.

Hi - I'm one of the founders at HiredByMe.

To answer the question about ClientCo it's mostly the recruiters who are responsible for undertaking the checks, and we've spent a long time bringing them on board before we launched to the contractor market. We knew we needed a good slate of places-you-could-use-a-portable-PES before the cost would make sense.

You can see a list of the recruiters we're currently working with at Acceptors - HiredByMe (and we are adding new ones all the time).

Happy to answer any questions others may have.

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Simon HiredByMe View Post
                Hi - I'm one of the founders at HiredByMe.

To answer the question about ClientCo it's mostly the recruiters who are responsible for undertaking the checks, and we've spent a long time bringing them on board before we launched to the contractor market. We knew we needed a good slate of places-you-could-use-a-portable-PES before the cost would make sense.

You can see a list of the recruiters we're currently working with at Acceptors - HiredByMe (and we are adding new ones all the time).

Happy to answer any questions others may have.

Simon
                Do you ask for two references?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Do you ask for two references?
                  "oh yeah, can you tell me who your boss was again? Any jobs going there?"

No, we don't do that.

Comment

Originally posted by redgiant View Post

Don't waste your money.

All IB's (for example) will have their own end-to-end process. They will insist you go through it, their way. And they will pick up the tab.

You will be on-site invoicing whilst this is taking place.

At least that's been my experience for the last 10 years of these "checks".
                    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
                    X