• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent Reviews and Ratings

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent Reviews and Ratings

I had an idea a little while back to put together a small site that allowed for the rating of recruitment agents (and their firms, by aggregation); basically to help identify/avoid/shame/root out poor working practices in order to improve the quality of engagement that contractors get.
    During this round of going to market I've noticed an increase in the usual grimey practices previously documented on this forum and I would have found it a better use of my precious bench time to engage with highly rated agents who are more likely to have a genuine, busy desk and are not otherwise trying to put one over on their candidate base.

Previously I've kept my own notes on agents but it's difficult to keep up with the influx of new recruits and the obvious solution seemed to be to crowd source the intel.

There are similar sites for other professions (Professors, Doctors, Teachers, etc.) and I wonder whether it would help to self-regulate the market a little bit if it had some active participation from contractor kin.
    Keep in mind the focus of this would not be to witch hunt agents (clearly some process would be needed for reporting abuse), but instead promote good practice and highly rated agents whilst having the by-product of starving the bad ones out or at least into remission. Also to note is that agents keep a detailed history of interaction on their candidates (I recently had a conversation with an agent about a contract I'd turned down over 2 years prior).

Aside from contractor rating/reviews of agents I can see a couple of other potential opportunities; integration with LinkedIn (for authentication, profiles, connections) and matches to JobServe/Site/etc. for current linked vacancies.

So any thoughts from the community? Has this been tried before or is there something like this already out there?

Hard to say really.

It could be that an agent behaves a certain way because of the agency that they're at or it could be the agent themselves (or a mix thereof). I certainly wouldn't operate a blacklist because of the way agents conduct themselves to get leads out of me; it's their job and I wouldn't want to be on the phone all day, basically begging for money.

The agencies that should be named and shamed are those that are bad payers, IR35 unfriendly, etc.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Be prepared to get sued by agencies that get bad reviews

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        Hard to say really.

It could be that an agent behaves a certain way because of the agency that they're at or it could be the agent themselves (or a mix thereof). I certainly wouldn't operate a blacklist because of the way agents conduct themselves to get leads out of me; it's their job and I wouldn't want to be on the phone all day, basically begging for money.

The agencies that should be named and shamed are those that are bad payers, IR35 unfriendly, etc.
        Good point, I hadn't really considered the practices after the contract has been signed - that would mostly relate to the agency rather than the agent (I wasn't planning on allowing reviews for agencies instead letting agent reviews dictate the overall agency score).

I had thought that ratings would be simple (eBay-esque) and reviews optional, other than the sum of the ratings the rest would be for the contractor/candidate to identify patterns and make judgement on.

Oh and I was going for more of a white list, with contractors making up their own minds do deal with agents based on their collective rating.
        Last edited by wolfgang; 2 June 2016, 12:43.

Comment

There is also quite a long thread on this forum:
          http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ies-avoid.html

Comment

Agent A ---> CRAP!
            Agent B ---> CRAP!
            Agent C ---> CRAP!
            Agent D ---> CRAP!

I'm sensing a pattern.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              Agent A ---> CRAP!
              Agent B ---> CRAP!
              Agent C ---> CRAP!
              Agent D ---> CRAP!

I'm sensing a pattern.
              Simple rule - if they get me a gig they're good; if they don't, they're rubbish.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                Be prepared to get sued by agencies that get bad reviews
                Pretty sure that's not how it works, otherwise everyone would sue reviewers on Amazon

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  Agent A ---> CRAP!
                  Agent B ---> CRAP!
                  Agent C ---> CRAP!
                  Agent D ---> CRAP!

I'm sensing a pattern.
                  To be fair if they think they can place you they will talk to you.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    To be fair if they think they can place you they will talk to you.
                    I don't use agents, but I have nothing against them. As LondonManc says, as long as they can place you (and don't go bust), they're pretty irrelevant. I wouldn't turn down a good contract because I didn't like an agent (you'd be swimming in a very small pond ).

Comment

Working...
                    X