• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Strange interview request. Is this normal?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Relaxed View Post
    My limited company have been contacted by an agent regarding a contract in public sector for a face to face interview in five hours driving distance. The client never spoke to me over Skype or phone and refused to do so on my request. They want me to come at certain day and confirmed they will not pay travel expenses. The rate they offer is nothing special.
    Is this a normal practice in public sector or is my company just being invited for statistics/regulations reasons?
    Would you travel there spending two days and couple of hundred quid in those conditions?
    GCHQ, right ? Not me...

Boo

Comment

More succinctly, how is your travel arrangements their problem?

It is VERY different from a permie interview where the potential employee is considering relocation.

Comment

I refuse to attend face 2 face interviews now - unless they're literally down the road - without having talked on the phone first. Too many complete wastes of time.

I certainly wouldn't travel 5 hours each way if they'd refused to talk on the phone first. Unless there was some particular reason to risk it.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
          And here was me thinking you'd go easy during the festive season! (BTW wheres the Dredd pic with the xmas hat?)
          I've been stuck working away from home for the past three weeks and my avatar is on my home PC somewhere so just haven't had time to get to it. Believe me I'm not overly happy about any of it. Will try my best to sort it when I get home this week.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I drove from Leeds to Bristol for an interview with an agency (about 4 hours each way). The role was in Corby starting the next Monday, still not a problem. They offered me the role but I turned them down (after verbally agreeing but not signing the contract) because I got a direct offer from an old client.

'e who dares Rodders, 'e who dares.

I'd add that you can't think about all the money that comes in as post-tax income is yours for holidays and sit-on lawnmowers, you have to set some aside for business development (training and going to interviews).

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              If you aren't willing to drive down for an interview what are you going to do if you get the gig? Are you prepared to work away from home? Have you thought beyond that?

IMO the best thing to do is forget this one, sit at home and wait for something nice and easy to fall in your lap and leave this one to proper contractors that know what they are doing and willing to attend fully prepared for all outcomes.
              If you deem the risk worth it.

Attending without having spoken first is one point on the continuum between speculatively turning up unannounced on the off chance they have a role going, and going on a promise that you'll get the role no matter what.

How far along that continuum you deem appropriate, in any particular circumstance, is a business / personal decision.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                I've been stuck working away from home for the past three weeks and my avatar is on my home PC somewhere so just haven't had time to get to it. Believe me I'm not overly happy about any of it. Will try my best to sort it when I get home this week.
                NCOTBAC!

I have a VPN from my iPhone back home to my Mac Server, once there VNC to my Laptop and everything is at my fingertips!
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

For me the real issue here is that they've unilaterally dictated a time without any consideration of your other business commitments.

Offer them very generous alternative slots and see if you can get it changed. If they decline then you know in advance what sort of a working relationship they expect.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    NCOTBAC!

I have a VPN from my iPhone back home to my Mac Server, once there VNC to my Laptop and everything is at my fingertips!
                    I push pens for a living....

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                      If you deem the risk worth it.

Attending without having spoken first is one point on the continuum between speculatively turning up unannounced on the off chance they have a role going, and going on a promise that you'll get the role no matter what.

How far along that continuum you deem appropriate, in any particular circumstance, is a business / personal decision.
                      I got to 4 words with more than 8 letters in and had to take a break cause my brain hurt. Looks impressive though.

Comment

Working...
                      X