• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car Rental

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goatfell View Post
    For the same reason that paying for flights/train/mileage is a valid business expense?
    OPco is already paying for accommodations near the client/work place. You can probably argue that a car hire mon-fri is a justifiable expense. The problem is that the car hire will be fri-mon effectively for the weekend when OPs is not working. Try explaining this to HMRC when questioned. In which case i don't think you can even offset the cost against CT, yet alone avoiding BIK.

Just because a number of people here say they have similar arrangements doesn't mean it's right.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
      OPco is already paying for accommodations near the client/work place. You can probably argue that a car hire mon-fri is a justifiable expense. The problem is that the car hire will be fri-mon effectively for the weekend when OPs is not working. Try explaining this to HMRC when questioned. In which case i don't think you can even offset the cost against CT, yet alone avoiding BIK.

Just because a number of people here say they have similar arrangements doesn't mean it's right.
      Its not any material difference between getting a flight \ train ticket Fri to Mon when you're working away.

I dont think there'd be a problem with HMRC accepting this provided proper records are kept ie mileage and fuel receipts and you've run it past your accountant. And HMRC would only 'know' if they carried out an investigation.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        Its not any material difference between getting a flight \ train ticket Fri to Mon when you're working away.

I dont think there'd be a problem with HMRC accepting this provided proper records are kept ie mileage and fuel receipts and you've run it past your accountant. And HMRC would only 'know' if they carried out an investigation.
        I think there is a difference. A train ticket is a once only, one way journey from A to B. A car can be used to go anywhere at any time...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
        X