• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car Rental

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    I just rent the car through MyCo. Put all the petrol, tolls and any associated costs through too. Negates all the claiming back hassle.
    Same - you get the VAT back if you're not Flat Rate, too which can be a reasonable chunk. Plus, it doesn't count towards your 10,000 miles 45p limit.

Comment

Maybe not much help - but I would have thought anywhere that rent vans along with Cars would do a business rental?

I used to have short term lease cars via a permmy role I used to do.
      Thinking about it, them cars came from Budget, Alamo & Hertz.

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
        I just rent the car through MyCo. Put all the petrol, tolls and any associated costs through too. Negates all the claiming back hassle.
        Doesn't it count as a BIK if YouCo gives you a car to jaunt about in at weekends (regardless of whether you actually use if for that, or just for travel from/to site)? I've always been a bit nervous about this so just rented privately and claimed mileage.

Comment

Not sure where you're based but wouldn't it be possible to fly to Southampton? Rail link is right at the airport if you need it.

Comment

Originally posted by supersteamer View Post
            Doesn't it count as a BIK if YouCo gives you a car to jaunt about in at weekends (regardless of whether you actually use if for that, or just for travel from/to site)? I've always been a bit nervous about this so just rented privately and claimed mileage.
            Interesting point, actually - I've only rented a couple of vans for one day a go so no drama there but renting a car for a week could be awkward. That said, I've had rented cars through work before now and that was never issue BUT the only time I had a long term rental (I was seconded into a job that needed a company car) but I had to leave it at work overnight and on weekends.

Comment

I have two other cars that I own for weekend use, so don't use the rental if I have it over the weekend, IYKWIM?
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by supersteamer View Post
                I agree. Hiring a car through the company for a week would be the same as buying a company car on Monday and selling it the following Monday. Far more hassle than renting personally and claiming mileage.

EVeryone says that a company car is not a good idea. So surely this can't be for the same reason.

Comment

How is hiring a car for the weekend to go back to your family a valid business expense? YourCo is already paying for your accommodation during the week i presume.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                    How is hiring a car for the weekend to go back to your family a valid business expense? YourCo is already paying for your accommodation during the week i presume.
                    For the same reason that paying for flights/train/mileage is a valid business expense?

Comment

Trouble is the duality of purpose. The car will be sat on the drive over the weekend, how to prove that it will only be used for a business expense over that time?

Best hire it personally and claim the mileage.

Comment

Working...
                      X