• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Left - client requesting personal laptop audit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1) What does your contract say?
    2) Did you sign an additional IT security agreement or somesuch before they allowed you to use your own kit on their network or transfer their data to it?

Comment

Hi OP

You obviously got along with this client in the past (2 renewals) but now it seems you have fallen out with them in a big way. Without knowing the history and facts of the dispute, it is hard to advise.

If you are decided not to stay, I would say: remain very calm, speak to the agent and in the politest possible language, say you are moving on for some bland reason (time to move on, long commute or whatever). Do not give some inflammatory reason like you hate the client or something.

The agent should act as a buffer between you and the client. Come to an agreement with them on your leaving date, keeping things amicable at all costs.

Regarding the request to have your PC, this is ridiculous. I might as well demand the use your car for a fortnight. Do not give them the laptop. But again, keep the refusal polite and bland (it contains information confidential to your business, you can't obtain new work without it, all your wife's stuff is on there etc. etc.). Don't tell them the request is ridiculous. And have the laptop discussion through the agent, it puts up another barrier and protects both sides.

I am assuming you have not breached the terms of the contract by having these "graphics" on your PC.

Clients are human and from time to time can display outrageous behavior. Just remain calm and reasonable.
      Last edited by unixman; 11 February 2015, 10:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        Unless there is something in the contract about a specific machine, I would send back a signed statement saying I have removed all of your confidential data from my computing devices.
        This for me. I've signed contracts previously which have a requirement to sign a confirmation that any confidential information has been given back and no copies kept etc. As a business-business relationship this should be enough, as the reality is that they aren't concerned at you having the information, but using it to further your own ends.

If it came to be that you had some information and used it, and they found out, then your signed statement clearly shows you lied and this would be damning evidence if the matter went to court.

Comment

3.11 is too good for them - why not 3.1.
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

I'm loving the suggestion of installing Win3.1 on the laptop.

Client: Yeah, this isn't the same laptop as our logs show a win7 machine accessing the guest wifi. So we're going to keep a hold of this one until you supply the correct machine (as per contract?) and now we suspect foul play we'll be holding on to that last invoice until this is all squared.

Now what?

Comment

Just confirm that all (if any) of their data has been securely wiped.

Even if you did take the laptop in to them (which personally, I would not do as it contains my own personal data), one could have easily copied data off to elsewhere if you really wanted to.

I certainly would not give my laptop to someone and hope/prey that they gave it me back in the near future.
              Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Have they never heard of copying onto another machine, USB drive, wherever.

How would access to one machine prove you don't still have a copy?

Even if it was tied to some piece of software you could clone the drive.

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
                  Signed off with stress - lol

1st contractor in history to do this as its a made up permie thing
                  Really?
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Can they legally withhold payment? No. But if they do, you need to get your employer to chase the agency to chase the client - yet another reason to avoid umbrellas, as some will roll over if things look awkward for them.

If you absolutely must show them your laptop, then I would explain that you have securely wiped the computer. If they won't accept that, swap the drive out and just put a blank one in there - you don't even need to bother with an operating system - you have wiped the computer and haven't had chance to install anything yet because you're wasting time with bollox requirements like this one.

Yes, it's a pain - but probably less painful than having to get everyone else in the chain to fight for what is legally yours when they have little incentive to do so.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                      3.11 is too good for them - why not 3.1.
                      Vista. say no more.

Comment

Working...
                      X