• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Booking extra days on final invoice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Booking extra days on final invoice

My current gig ends in a few weeks. All a bit rushed as money has dried up and Client is a bit frustrated and the project I created will be run by 2 permies who have yet to be recruited.

I have been asked informally if I would book 6-8 days extra on my final invoice (Saturdays and Sundays) so I can come back in and cross train the permies (i.e. "days in the bank"). I personally am fine with this and could use the OT.

Has anyone been in a similar situation and are there any pitfalls of such an approach?

As long as the scope is agreed I see no issue although why do they want to pre-pay? Sneaking it in the current budget?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      As long as the scope is agreed I see no issue although why do they want to pre-pay? Sneaking it in the current budget?
      Yes, exactly right.

Comment

Unless you're direct, you need them to agree this with the agent else there'll be alsorts of 'issues' croping up. Remember, your contract is with the agent, not the client (unless you're direct as mentioned before).
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Make sure you clearly define when they can call you back in, on what notice, how far in advance do you need notice etc. - you don't want someone to realise in 9 months time, when you are working at the other end of the country, that they haven't used those days yet and expect you to drop your current client and be there the next day. Make sure you and they are clear on what happens if they don't use all the days paid for within your time limit - if you need to refund them, then how will this work in practice?

I can't see the agency having any issue or even needing to be consulted - as long as the client pays up, they get even more money for doing even less than normal. They only need to get involved if the client finds that 6-8 days isn't enough time and they need more, or if they have paid for 8 days and only need 4 and want a refund.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

I can't see the agency having any issue or even needing to be consulted - as long as the client pays up, they get even more money for doing even less than normal. They only need to get involved if the client finds that 6-8 days isn't enough time and they need more, or if they have paid for 8 days and only need 4 and want a refund.
            Utter bollocks. You cant see an issue with the last invoice for 5 days worked being billed an extra 6 or 7 days? Oh, the contractor just tells the agent 'its ok, the client wants me to cover a future period so said to put an extra 6 or 7 days on the invoice'?

Good luck with that one. At the very least, it'll lead to potential delays in the last payment.

The rest of your post was good advice though.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              Utter bollocks. You cant see an issue with the last invoice for 5 days worked being billed an extra 6 or 7 days? Oh, the contractor just tells the agent 'its ok, the client wants me to cover a future period so said to put an extra 6 or 7 days on the invoice'?

Good luck with that one. At the very least, it'll lead to potential delays in the last payment.

The rest of your post was good advice though.
              Agent asks contractor why there are extra days on the invoice (assuming they notice, which if the billing period is monthly they may not).
              Contractor tells agent that the client has asked them to bill extra days and have approved it.
              Agent asks client if they have approved the extra days.
              Client confirms they have approved extra days.
              Agent pays contractor within the agreed timescale (if not within the timescale, contractor invoices for late payment)
              Agent pockets commission in advance of work which may or may not take place
              Agent goes shopping for more hair gel, spending commission already received for doing nothing

Simple.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Agent asks contractor why there are extra days on the invoice (assuming they notice, which if the billing period is monthly they may not).
                Contractor tells agent that the client has asked them to bill extra days and have approved it.
                Agent asks client if they have approved the extra days.
                Client confirms they have approved extra days.
                Agent pays contractor within the agreed timescale (if not within the timescale, contractor invoices for late payment)
                Agent pockets commission in advance of work which may or may not take place
                Agent goes shopping for more hair gel, spending commission already received for doing nothing

Simple.
                All of which is after the billing event.

Far simpler to get all the boxes ticked beforehand. But each to their own. I prefer to be proactive rather than reactive.

Comment

I think BB is right, I missed that point because I'm used to working direct.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Check where you stand re insurance when on site without any contract.

Usually companies will not allow you onsite unless you are contracted to work as their insurance is not valid for you

Comment

Working...
                    X