• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Signed renewal, does this constitute acceptance if you dont attend

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signed renewal, does this constitute acceptance if you dont attend

Contract has been extended which comes into effect at the end of October, and has been signed by me already as acceptance. I am thinking of not renewing and simply walking away at the end of this contract before this renewal one comes into effect. Can I do this even though I have signed the renewal ? or do I need to start the renewal and provide notice from a contract perspective (appreciate common courtesy of course).

any ideas ? thanks.

Originally posted by coxsox View Post
    Contract has been extended which comes into effect at the end of October, and has been signed by me already as acceptance. I am thinking of not renewing and simply walking away at the end of this contract before this renewal one comes into effect. Can I do this even though I have signed the renewal ? or do I need to start the renewal and provide notice from a contract perspective (appreciate common courtesy of course).

any ideas ? thanks.
    If it's signed then you have accepted it and will have to fulfill it. You could just not show up and piss them off or give notice now which is the better option.

Comment

any ideas ? thanks.
      Just curious but what do you consider renewing, if not signing the renewal?

You've accepted the renewal and as such will be expected to start, you can do what you like though including either not turning up or turning up and giving notice of your intention to leave - just don't expect the client to be particularly happy about it.

Comment

any ideas ? thanks.
        Assuming you have a notice period, then you should give notice and leave if that's what you want to do. If you haven't got the right to terminate, and you want to leave, then you should discuss this with the client and (hopefully) leave. If that still doesn't work, and you have a right of substitution, then get a substitute to do the work for you. If all that fails, then don't turn up and invite them to sue you for breach of contract (which they would win if it ever came to court, which is unlikely).
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

By accepting and signing a renewal you have set their expectations that you're happy to continue the assignment, quite apart from it being more than a bit rude, it's bad business practice to leave a client in the lurch if you change your mind.

You could always offer a Substitute if you know someone suitable.

Comment

why'd you sign the renewal so far in advance?
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

any ideas ? thanks.
              Oh FFS! One day an agency is going to take someone like you to the cleaners.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                WHS - With the client right behind him.

You have every right to change your mind, read your contract, give notice as required, then view the flaming bridge behind you.
                Sometimes, the best way to light the path to your future is by burning the bridges of your past.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                  Sometimes, the best way to light the path to your future is by burning the bridges of your past.
                  Whooaaa, deeeeep man...
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

FWIW I had to do something similar. I was offered a renewal, accepted it and then a job came along that I couldn't turn down. I served notice under the terms of my contract and while the woman I worked for was disappointed, it was justifiable given the increase in rate and duration the other job was offering.

By the same token, if the budget was cut, they would have no qualms in cancelling the extension and serving me notice.
                    Last edited by BoredBloke; 9 October 2014, 13:56.
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X