• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

References

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
    Having interviewed, paper work being worked on, gave the agency contact details of the agencies I was contracting through in the last two roles. Not a quibble made. Indeed, agency v quickly amended a few clauses QDos identified ( though contract looked fairly tight even without amendments ). That was for a public sector SC role, so I'd suggest it's down to the agency you go through.
    I can just see the expression on the old agent's face, as the new agent phones him up to ask for his client's details
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Lately the agents have been asking for someone to ring up for 'technical reference'. It's gonna be a case of, so was he good with MVC? ok, what about C# and ASP.NET? without understanding what it is..

Comment

Originally posted by maxedvolume View Post
        Lately the agents have been asking for someone to ring up for 'technical reference'. It's gonna be a case of, so was he good with MVC? ok, what about C# and ASP.NET? without understanding what it is..
        Give them another contractor you worked alongside. (Obviously ask first.)

If they really want a reference about your technical capabilities that would be good enough.

If they want a client contact then they will be disappointed as you can honestly say that due to the non-disclosure agreement in your contract or the client policy of not giving anyone whether they are permanent/temp/contractor personal references you cannot give them those details.

I've had agencies obtain different reference types on me and I have a range of people who are willing to give me a reference depending on what is required, but absolutely none of my referees are the end-clients.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The policy of the place I work (city, finance) is not to give references for contractors at all. Ironically they ask for references for contractors though. Even for permies all they will do is provide dates of employment.

This is increasingly common I think (apart from the refusing to give references but insisting on getting references bit, that's just weird).
          I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
            I can just see the expression on the old agent's face, as the new agent phones him up to ask for his client's details
            Well, said references are merely to confirm I was contracting through them on an assignment for the period claimed in my company resume. Which is as it should.

Given end client confirm technical ability from the pitch meeting*, there's nothing else the agency need really, is there? The number of agents capable of determining technical competence I've experienced you could count on the fingers of a persistent thief in Saudi Arabia.

* after all, interviews are for permies

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Give them another contractor you worked alongside. (Obviously ask first.)

If they really want a reference about your technical capabilities that would be good enough.
              I like that suggestion. It assumes though that you get to work alongside other contractors often enough that there will be some you trust to give a good account of you!

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              If they want a client contact then they will be disappointed as you can honestly say that due to the non-disclosure agreement in your contract or the client policy of not giving anyone whether they are permanent/temp/contractor personal references you cannot give them those details.

I've had agencies obtain different reference types on me and I have a range of people who are willing to give me a reference depending on what is required, but absolutely none of my referees are the end-clients.
              How about where ClientCo HR is asking for 3 years "employment history" in respect of a BPSS security check?

I'm going through this right now. My most recent client was direct. I'm planning to state MyCo as Employer, and list the Agency Co.s and the direct Client Co. as 'contracts'. Is that enough do you think, or will they want to know all end clients? I have to take the form in when starting and don't really want to kick off getting arsey with HR on day 1!

Fwiw, there is also 6m bench time at the start of the period which make it look like I'm listing only 2 1/2 year's history. I also specifically do not list Client Co. names or dates on my CV.

Comment

Does the form ask specifically for client details for contractors/the self-employed? If not, then don't give them.

As if you run your own limited then you employ yourself. So unless the form specifically asks for details of past clients then you don't need to give them.

This link will illustrate why you should just give them exactly what is asked for. Scroll to section 4 then ANNEX B. How will an agency be able to answer question 5 in annex B?

Since such forms always want one or two personal referees anyway you don't really need to worry about bench time.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Was asked this week for 2 years worth of references for a position lasting 2 weeks.

Explained that I'd already bothered actual referees recently, though to no avail (didn't get the role). Turned out agent is just ticking boxes set out by their Compliance department.

Agent was happy to take details of other agencies to check previous role dates, instead of bothering my 'real' referees.

Too much paper fafferage for my liking, but I abide with this outcome

Comment

If I am pushed to provide references, I give contact details of the agency I was previously contracting through and explain that I would not know who in clientco would be able to provide a reference...

Comment

Same as others have said, I refer them to my previous agent.

Comment

Working...
                      X