• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie to Contractor notice period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daveitcont View Post
    Encouragement is the wrong word, I asked a question and I got a lot of negativity about how difficulty it is, I don't seem ready, are you sure it's for you etc etc.
    But in your question you said:

"Quick start times for contracts seem to be the norm so I was wondering if anyone has not worked their notice period in a situation like this? To be honest I have had enough of my job so much that it personally doesn't bother me getting a contract and saying see ya! Just want to avoid any negative ramifications for the future."

If that's the case why are you letting 'negativity' get to you...? :-)

It'll work or it won't. Only you will know for sure how it will pan out. Others on here are trying to help by sharing their experiences or warning you of possible pitfalls.

To end on a positive note - it was the best thing I ever did.

Comment

To further add some balance, I found a contract first and then managed to get the Client to agree to a 4-week notice period from my permie role, and had pretty much nothing behind me in terms of Warchest, when I started out. That said, my wife earns a decent permie salary, so we could have got by for a good 3 months or so, had things all gone awry.
      As it happened, my first contract was for 6 months; I then had 2 to choose from, both finishing one on the Friday, starting new one on the Monday (OK, I think I managed to negotiate Tuesday ) and then when that one was winding down I had to choose between 3, one of which was first Client again........So, for me, the transition was pretty smooth and worked out well.

But, YMMV!!!!!
      latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

How is your relationship with your superiors at work? Are you prepared to open dialogue with your boss along the lines of "Look, it's not you, it's me. I will be off shortly." then see how flexible they are re: notice period. They might surprise you.

Comment

Update

Thought i'd give you an update if anyone was interested and for anyone reading this post in the future.

In the end I handed my notice in with no contract to go to. Scary but its something i'd been advised to do from agencies and fellow contractors. I had a 4 week notice period and planned on going for contracts in my 3rd week but luckily a contract opened up at an old company I worked for and I started beginning of October after working 2.5 weeks of my notice. Manager gave me the ok to cut it short.

Best thing i've done, no negatives as yet. If you're unhappy in your permie job, give it a go!

Thanks for all the advice on here.

PS. Lots of tongue in cheeks comments about contractors made by permie staff, mainly about pay. They say their joking but you know deep down it does get to some that you earn 3x what they do. Let it go over your head, at least you have the balls to do something about it if you're unhappy in your work!

Comment

Originally posted by Daveitcont View Post
            you earn 3x what they do
            Glad it worked out for you. The above, though, is highly unlikely in practice unless you can sustain work without breaks, enforced or otherwise. Build up your warchest initially. But once you're financially independent, yes, it's unbeatable.

Comment

I earn about the same from contracting as I did from perm, I just take the same tax efficient sal/divvies as we all do. Rest is the war chest.

It's a myth you earn more. You can if you want to give a sizeable lump to the taxman too, but I'd rather stash it.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                I earn about the same from contracting as I did from perm, I just take the same tax efficient sal/divvies as we all do. Rest is the war chest.

It's a myth you earn more. You can if you want to give a sizeable lump to the taxman too, but I'd rather stash it.
                This.

My take home is marginally more than as a permie, but not much.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

It's a myth you earn more
                  Mrs. Stek visits CUK does she? Come off it, the other one has bells on
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Mrs. Stek visits CUK does she? Come off it, the other one has bells on
                    Ltd earns shed loads!!

I, however don't!

Not married either, unmarried partner of 11 years, not a shareholder, not an employee, not a director!

Comment

It's a myth you earn more.
                      This is stretching the reality too. Sure, you may elect to consider tax efficiency, retaining much of the profit and closing the company later on w/ ER, or take a few months or years off along the way, but deferred income and opportunity still count as earning more. However, 3x more is unlikely, at least consistently.

Comment

Working...
                      X