• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to obtain VAT number of a company if they won't tell you.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to obtain VAT number of a company if they won't tell you.

How does one obtain the VAT number of a company if they won't tell you?
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Originally posted by threaded
    How does one obtain the VAT number of a company if they won't tell you?

Buy something from them...

HTH
    The rest is silence...

Comment

And you buy something from them, there is VAT charged, but no VAT number on the invoice.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
        And you buy something from them, there is VAT charged, but no VAT number on the invoice.
        That would be VAT fraud. Report them.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Oooooh errrr ! Aren't they going to have a bad time with Her Majestys Revenue and Customs ?? For them to charge and collect VAT they MUST issue a valid VAT invoice which absolutely must have a breakdown of VAT and their VAT number on it.

You could casually phone up the Revenue VAT helpline and just ask what to do..... ! Might make things interesting for this company...

Malcolm.
          It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Yes, I have already 'phoned the VAT and they will not tell me the number either. So I can already guess how phoning the VAT fraud is really going to help me, not.

So, before we stray too far from the point, does anyone know of a method to find a companies VAT number when the company will not tell you?

Comment

If they're charging you VAT Threaded they have to give you the number. If they wont, tell them you know they are committing fraud and will report them to the Inland Revenue. Then do that.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

MarillionFan: How does that get me their VAT number? Like I say I've already talked to the VAT and they won't give me the number.

Comment

Tell them you'd like to buy something off them, but you can't pay any VAT unless you know the VAT number because your accounts department won't sign it off.

I shudder to think what you're trying to do to this company, such that they won't tell you the VAT number!

Comment

Yes, I have quite a few communications with the company, but no VAT number.

Actually I am now tending to think they are involved in some fraud and I would really rather like to get my paperwork as straight as possible in their direction before the Customs swoops and a few pellets from the blunderbus head in my direction.

So is the consensus therefore that if a company will not give you their VAT number there is just no other way of obtaining it?

And any VAT I've paid I shall just have to take the hit on 'cause I can't reclaim it?

Comment

Working...
                    X