• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to obtain VAT number of a company if they won't tell you.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Bump. Did anyone ever find out a way/process for this?
    The simple answer is here http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/managing/...t-invoices.htm

The relevant bit is:

A VAT invoice must show:

* an invoice number which is unique and follows on from the number of the previous invoice * the seller's name or trading name, and address
    * the seller's VAT registration number
    * the invoice date
    * the time of supply (also known as tax point) if this is different from the invoice date - see below
    * the customer's name or trading name, and address
    * a description sufficient to identify the goods or services supplied to the customer
    Folks, if it doesn't show those things then it's NOT A VAT INVOICE so don't pay the VAT. End of story.

If your company has over paid an invoice (ie, paid VAT without a VAT invoice) then send them a recorded delivery letter demanding a VAT invoice or refund within 30 days or you will take court action. If they don't pay then don't mess about, start proceedings using http://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Robot View Post
      They could give you a completely bogus number and you wouldn't know any different, would you? "

Example - VAT registration number shown on invoice is 223 4567 74

To verify the VAT no

Lay the formula out as follows:-

V
      A
      T

N
      o

2 * 8= 16
      2 * 7= 14
      3 * 6= 18
      4 * 5= 20
      5 * 4= 20
      6 * 3= 18
      7 * 2= 14
      Totals 120

Subtract 97 from the total sum until you have the last two digits of the VAT number.

120 – 97 = 23 – 97 = 74 the last two digits of the VAT number is 74.

Try it, Customs say it will work with all VAT numbers !!!!

Very cool.

This is an easier way EU VAT Verification

On the OP question, there is no simple answer. Sometimes the VAT advice line will give this information, and sometimes not. Google has plenty of links to similar questions asked. Some folks have had luck in getting HMRC to proffer the info, many have failed.

What is clear, if you claim VAT on your return that was not paid, as they were not registered, then it's your problem. i.e. You cannot claim it. You simply paid a higher amount for the goods/services. The fact they made up VAT on the invoice is not any concern of HMRC from a refund perspective. Of course they'd love to hear about any potential fraud, but this doesn't help the OP.

Alas, it is the responsibility of the person paying the invoice to ensure it is correct before paying. Not that this helps the OP much, but clearly if the supplier is refusing to give his VAT number, then an average man would be forgiven for thinking they're up to no good

I am not an expert, just someone who has experienced things first hand. If you need expert advice then seek out a qualified expert. My opinions are just that, my opinions. I could be wrong, and laws change, so trust nothing I say

Comment

Illegal or not, believe me UK HMRC do not care.
        We have here a package sent from the USA, with the customs declaration & invoice (including shipping) made out to the company with an FAO to me.
        Parcel Force held the package until I paid them another massive fee.
        1 - Import Duty.
        2 - VAT
        3 - Handling Fee
        The import duty I will reluctantly have to pay.
        The VAT I want back though, but there is no VAT number on the invoice, and according to HMRC if the invoice is made out to a private individual they do not have to provide the VAT number. Their invoice is made out to me - they dropped the company name - and HMRC say I have to take it up with Parcel Force, who say to talk to HMRC.
        Parcel Force state it is a customs VAT charge, but customs say it is most emphatically not.
        What to do? It's almost £140, and I want it back. It's no use saying "it's VAT fraud", as HMRC just do not care.

Finally - after paying almost $100 in shipping, so why do Parcel Force add another £13.50 "handling charge" - almost an additional 30% of the fee I already paid!!

Comment

Originally posted by Robot View Post
          They could give you a completely bogus number and you wouldn't know any different, would you? "

Example - VAT registration number shown on invoice is 223 4567 74

To verify the VAT no

Lay the formula out as follows:-

V
          A
          T

N
          o

2 * 8= 16
          2 * 7= 14
          3 * 6= 18
          4 * 5= 20
          5 * 4= 20
          6 * 3= 18
          7 * 2= 14
          Totals 120

Subtract 97 from the total sum until you have the last two digits of the VAT number.

120 – 97 = 23 – 97 = 74 the last two digits of the VAT number is 74.

Try it, Customs say it will work with all VAT numbers !!!!
          So it does.
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
          X