• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella cancelling previous expense claims

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    What a load of bulltulip are slave masters come out with.

So you do a 6 month stint somewhere via an umbrella, you then start your own business to contract through. The 6 month stint is classed as "permanent", despite having a temporary contract for 6 month.
    In order for it to qualify as temporary then you must work in more than one location for the same employer. The 6 month stint is merely one work placement by your brolly. When you start your next contract, you're still working for your brolly.

What would be interesting is to find out how a consultant employed by Accenture, for example, would be treated if he began his employment at client site, then quit to join IBM consulting, without ever having worked on another client site. If "expectation" isn't valid, then presumably, he'd have to pay back the tax on T&S.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      In order for it to qualify as temporary then you must work in more than one location for the same employer. The 6 month stint is merely one work placement by your brolly. When you start your next contract, you're still working for your brolly.
      Which of course is the problem, we dont work for our brolleys they work for us. It is employment in name only to avoid handling onerous tax affairs outselves, name me one other employment where the employee selects the employer. We then try to match regulations written for real employment with a fake employment relationship and wonder why the rules become stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
        I remember when I was with an umbrella, I had one client who needed me perhaps one day every 4 months. The first 6 month contract expired having worked only one day, to save messing around every 6 months the client put a long finish date on the contract. The umbrella then told me I couldnt claim expenses as it would be over 24 months. Because working 6 days in 24 months, yes that's obviously a permanent employment.
        If you are on site for less than 40% of the time then 24-month rule does not apply, period.

Comment

Working...
        X