• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Registering for PAYE - even if no salary for yourself?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Registering for PAYE - even if no salary for yourself?

Do you still need to register?

HMRC pages are a bit vague. HM Revenue & Customs: Register as an employer

Reason I'm not paying myself a salary this year is because I've already earned a fair chunk in salary from my permie job.

As I understand it, there's no requirement for a Director to employ himself, is there? As such, I assume there no need to register for PAYE either then.

Reason I ask is a friend and I are in the same situation, use same accountant (for now!) and hes registered him for PAYE and not me! Before I ask him I want to find out whos right.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Well you are going to have to do it at sometime so whatever the answer wouldn't it be better to do it now so you don't forget?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You would have to register for PAYE even if no salary is being paid, as you will need to prepare a P11d (assumption you're the director), and you require a PAYE Ref No. to submit that form.

Comment

Originally posted by Robot View Post
        You would have to register for PAYE even if no salary is being paid, as you will need to prepare a P11d (assumption you're the director), and you require a PAYE Ref No. to submit that form.
        Right. But of course the P11D isnt due until end of tax year?

Comment

All employers have to register for PAYE if your providing an employee with benefits. A director is a Ltd company and if your paying any form of expenses you'll have to register for PAYE.

As said above just register now. You can then pay yourself tiny amounts of salary and get big refunds from the PAYE you've already paid.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
            All employers have to register for PAYE if your providing an employee with benefits. A director is a Ltd company and if your paying any form of expenses you'll have to register for PAYE.

As said above just register now. You can then pay yourself tiny amounts of salary and get big refunds from the PAYE you've already paid.
            Nah. No salary this year. As discussed in other posts I already got 12K or so from permie salary this financial year so all allowances used up.

So if you pay expenses i.e. travel etc you need to be PAYE. Cheers accountant once again.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post

Hmmm. All I'm paying myself is business expenses (i.e. travel allowance which is not taxable/NI able).

HMRC site seems a bit vague. I can see the point if you're paying an employee benefits because this is income in another form (so sort of salary).....

Friend of mine is with same accountant as me in exactly the same position as me. He registered him for PAYE but not me!!!

Comment

Working...
              X