• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wrong postcode in VAT returns envelope?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong postcode in VAT returns envelope?

The envelope for VAT returns that HMRC sent me has this address

VAT Controller
    VAT Central Unit
    BX5 5AT
    Post office says the post code is wrong and they wouldn't accept this for recorded delivery. (see - http://postcode.royalmail.com/portal/rm/addressfinder)

Called VAT helpline and they say postcode is correct. My accountant's office also confirms that.

Googling this shows up some posts where others are also facing same problem. Apparently the correct post code is BD98 1YY. (http://www.davenportenterprises.co.u...heque-payments)

Is anyone else facing the same problem? Do you know what the correct address is?

Thanks

Originally posted by kingshuk View Post
    Do you know what the correct address is?
    It is whatever the Royal Mail says it is.

The Royal Mail owns postcodes. What they says goes and that's that.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
      It is whatever the Royal Mail says it is.
      Trouble is - the person at the counter tells me that the post code I am trying to send is incorrect. He doesn't know the correct VAT office address either. Others seem to be facing the same problem. For example here in accountingweb - http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/item/193961

or here - http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/fo.../t-100405.html

Comment

The answer was in those threads.

The Royal Mail has changed the post code (as they do from time to time) but HMRC are still sending out envelopes with the old one.

The old address was:
        VAT Controller
        VAT Central Unit
        BX5 5AT

Any stock of pre-paid envelopes with the old address should not be used.

The new address is:
        VAT Controller
        VAT Central Unit
        BD98 1YY

Phone the VAT Helpline in the morning and ask them to double-check.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

Any stock of pre-paid envelopes with the old address should not be used.
          be posted back to HMRC attached to a brick.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Online is of course the way to go.

and you get extra time to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
              Online is of course the way to go.

and you get extra time to pay.
              This, however, was the VAT Return. Paying it online is a doddle. Doing the return online is A F***ING NIGHTMARE OF BIBLICAL PROPORTIONS INCOMPETENT BASTARD TOSS W**NK GITS SECURITY SYSTEM MENTALIST STUPID EMAIL POXY SYSTEM NAFF POSTED NUMBERS AND PASSWORDS DIFFERENT NAMES FOR THE SAME INFORMATION MULTIPLE EMAIL ADDRESSES AARRRRGGGGHHHHH!

Sorry.

Doing the return online is a challenge.

Comment

Did mine online last night, easy peasy.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Called VAT office again. This time they confirmed the correct postcode is

BD98 1YY

Comment

Moving secret postcodes

I have had the same problem.
                    I have envelopes with both secret post codes on them. These are BX55HB and the Google pin does not land at all.
                    The other is BD981YY and it drops the pin in the Yorkshire dales national park.
                    They sent me a form and when I went to do it on line a screen appeared telling me to wait weeks. I resorted to the paper form in order to get the papers cleared from my desk. The form had a return address StAustell PL255YN and the pin drops on a postal sorting office from Google.
                    The form did not arrive. 6 months later after paying one penalty they demanded another so there is no point in paying these penalties as they do not stop.
                    I used the phone in a job center to find out what was going on and got them to send me a duplicate form. It arrived with a scruffy bit of paper with another address on it this time Cardiff CF148HR and this also puts the pin on a postal sorting office.
                    I have after about a year got a letter from a London office. This is SE19PY and the pin lands on a revenue building. I wrote to it and a reply has come back with a return address in derby DE11RU and again the pin lands on a revenue building.
                    The two letters have different named people they are from.
                    We are aiming at a moving target and they want you to miss so that they can demand penalties. This is very suspicious.
                    I asked them about the change of address they made without informing me and was rudely ignored.
                    I have included all the post codes so that others can find us with Google.

Comment

Working...
                    X