• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

concern about payschemeplus

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bradley
    Rebeccaloos saidOne of the points considered in the Dextra case was the relationship between the loans etc and the employees and the loans etc were attributed to the employees as earnings i.e. what RB quotes above simply won't work any more unless the case is appealed and over-turned.
    This isn't the case. If you read the whole Dextra case you will find that the IR's issue was the corporation tax deduction enjoyed by the company. That is to say under normal circumstances if a company makes a profit they pay corp tax. In this case the company didn't pay any corp tax at all and were claiming that all of the funds they placed in the EBT were technically void of corp tax. This is the point they lost on.

None of the employees who received benefits (loans or otherwise) from the EBT has these benefits called back in to charge for tax or NI. The IR conceeded this point, therefore paving the way for these sorts of schemes.

Looking at the offerings available to us, you will find that the employer company is based off shore, usually in a principality where there is no corp tax. We are still UK tax payers so it doesn't really effect us, but given that loans from trusts are an acknoweldged method of remuneration we should have any problem.

Comment

I admire your optimism. EBT's were effectively outlawed in the UK at the last budget. I don't think it's happened yet, but you can make a good bet that sometime soon EBT-derived income paid in the UK will be treated as earned income and taxed as normal.

Incidentally, how do you account for it on your annual SA form? Or, since it's effectively tax paid, do you just not mention it?
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Malv.....

Just give up.....if you are happy with the LTd route stick with it. But you are not going to change some of us who reckon there are opportunities to make a bit more cash from this rather dull work we do....I'm sure Herr Brown will catch us all soon with his band of dedicated tax slueths....

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
          I admire your optimism. EBT's were effectively outlawed in the UK at the last budget. I don't think it's happened yet, but you can make a good bet that sometime soon EBT-derived income paid in the UK will be treated as earned income and taxed as normal.

Incidentally, how do you account for it on your annual SA form? Or, since it's effectively tax paid, do you just not mention it?
          Your right, EBT's were outlawed in the UK, that is why the employer company is based off shore. GB has a real bee in his bonnet about companies in the UK paying Corp tax so UK based employers cannot offer EBT's.

By virtue of what has happened with Dextra the IR are unable to call benefits from EBT's back in to call for tax and NI, you can't change precident. I have no doubt that they will try and rewrite legislation to try and stop this from happening at some future date, but they will need to be very clever about it.

However, even if the legislation is changed providing you stop using the scheme on or before the date the legislation takes effect there is no way that the IR can come after you.

With regards to accounting for it the employer completes a P11D each year - there is a whole section dedicated to Low interest and interest free loans.

For what its worth my brother is a tax expert working for PWC and I took him along to the meeting with me when I looked at using my current provider. He has no concerns with it, hence why I took it up.

Comment

OK, I'm convinced. I'm a neo-luddite of the first order. And anyway, my work isn't boring and I earn shedloads anyway. na-na-ni-nana

But...
            However, even if the legislation is changed providing you stop using the scheme on or before the date the legislation takes effect there is no way that the IR can come after you.
            Yes they can, sadly. As of the last budget, Dim Prawn made it possible for future tax legislation to be made retrospective to December 2004. So if they outlaw offshore EBTs at some point, they will be allowed to chase the back tax to that point. Another triumph of New Labour's disregard for common practice...
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

If its not boring why spend all your time on here......ps I also earn shedloads - I just dont like giving have of it away!

Comment

OK, I'm convinced. I'm a neo-luddite of the first order. And anyway, my work isn't boring and I earn shedloads anyway. na-na-ni-nana

But...

Yes they can, sadly. As of the last budget, Dim Prawn made it possible for future tax legislation to be made retrospective to December 2004. So if they outlaw offshore EBTs at some point, they will be allowed to chase the back tax to that point. Another triumph of New Labour's disregard for common practice...
                From what I understand given that there has been a recent case behind this and a precedent set it won't apply to this particular type of scheme. It would contravene human rights if something that was acknowledged as bona fide was later changed and the law applied retrospectively.

The only chance the IR would stand of applying something retrospectively is if it was a scheme with nothing behind it in the way of case law etc.

Comment

If its not boring why spend all your time on here
                  The joy of management by exception and having a very comeptent team doing the real work is that I don't have to handhold everything. And winding up you lot has its own rewards, of course!
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

The joy of management by exception and having a very comeptent team doing the real work is that I don't have to handhold everything. And winding up you lot has its own rewards, of course!
                    competent

competent
                    adjective
                    able to do something well:
                    a competent secretary/horse-rider/cook
                    I wouldn't say he was brilliant but he is competent at his job.
                    NOTE: The opposite is incompetent.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Reextra

Originally posted by Tramline
                      None of the employees who received benefits (loans or otherwise) from the EBT has these benefits called back in to charge for tax or NI. The IR conceeded this point, therefore paving the way for these sorts of schemes.

Looking at the offerings available to us, you will find that the employer company is based off shore, usually in a principality where there is no corp tax. We are still UK tax payers so it doesn't really effect us, but given that loans from trusts are an acknoweldged method of remuneration we should have any problem.
                      The Revenue say at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/practitioners...d-v-dextra.htm
                      What are emoluments?

HMRC accept that the term "emoluments" for the purposes of section 43 is wider than just taxable emoluments. It includes money and other benefits convertible into money, even if there is no tax charge at that time the payments are made by the trustees, for example as a result of a statutory exemption.

A loan to a beneficiary is not an emolument. It is simply an investment made by the EBT. At some point the loan will have to be repaid and the money will then be available to the trustee to disburse in line with the terms of the trust (which is likely to be in the form of emoluments).
                      Note the last sentence. The Revenue expects that a loan will be converted into emoluments at some stage in the future. If it's not then was the loan a loan at all?

What this EBT does is to give the "employee" a "loan" (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) that in reality will never be recovered. The Revenue aren't stupid and will see that the EBT has never, surprise, surprise, demanded that the loans are repaid. In fact, it's even lost touch with some of the beneficiaries of the EBT scheme! At that stage the Revenue say that the loans aren't in actual fact loans because it was never intended that they would be repaid, the EBT owes PAYE/NIC in this country (the company's residence is immaterial) and there is extra tax to pay.

Comment

Working...
                      X