• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Freelancing and starting a SaaS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freelancing and starting a SaaS

I'm currently a freelance web developer operating as a sole trader (you may have guessed). I don't have many expenses, mainly just computer software, web hosting and some hardware e.g. I purchased a new laptop last year which I'll be running for a few years. I am looking into transitioning into a limited company for liability purposes. I am also looking at the possibility of creating my own SaaS company and wondering whether I should set this up as it's own ltd (it could fail spectacularly in a short period of time) or as a trading name of my web development business? If I was to create two limited companies would I have to pay an accountant twice to manage both? Based on ~£90/month accountancy packages that would be very expensive. The SaaS' income would come from a monthly subscription and expenses would be web hosting.

Do we get a cut for consultancy given?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SoleTrader View Post
      I'm currently a freelance web developer operating as a sole trader (you may have guessed). I don't have many expenses, mainly just computer software, web hosting and some hardware e.g. I purchased a new laptop last year which I'll be running for a few years. I am looking into transitioning into a limited company for liability purposes. I am also looking at the possibility of creating my own SaaS company and wondering whether I should set this up as it's own ltd (it could fail spectacularly in a short period of time) or as a trading name of my web development business? If I was to create two limited companies would I have to pay an accountant twice to manage both? Based on ~£90/month accountancy packages that would be very expensive. The SaaS' income would come from a monthly subscription and expenses would be web hosting.
      Ask an accountant if there is an opportunity to offset the costs of the SaaS part of the business against the rest of the business, vastly reducing your corporation tax.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

What business is going to buy a service from another business that isn't a 'proper' company ? If you're worried about £200 of accountancy expenses a month you can't be selling your services for very much ? Wouldn't the fees be built into the cost you sell your services for ?

Comment

Do everything through one company

Comment

Working...
          X