• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT Flat Rate Scheme Update

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    I take it then all VAT expenses could then be deducted?
    So long as the things you buy are used for business purposes. If there's any private use you may have to restrict your claim.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-priv...s-and-services

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
      Examples of supplies that aren’t relevant goods
      This isn’t an exhaustive list:

accountancy fees, these are services
      advertising costs, these are services
      an item leased/hired to your business, this counts as services, as ownership will never transfer to your business
      food and drink for you or your staff, these are excluded goods
      fuel for a car this is excluded unless operating in the transport sector using your own, or a leased vehicle
      laptop or mobile phone for use by the business, this is excluded as it is capital expenditure see paragraph 15.1
      anything provided electronically, for example a downloaded magazine, these are services
      rent, this is a service
      software you download, this is a service
      software designed specifically for you (bespoke software), this is a service even if it is not supplied electronically
      Me confused!
      Alan do you still think accoutancy fees are not considered relevant goods, or am I missunderstanding what that term means!

Gorilla are suggesting coming off FRS on the basis of the comparative savings on VAT for accountancy fees alone, on my current turn over it is not a massive amount but they indicate VAT is reclaimable for their fees.
      So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Originally posted by DallasDad View Post
        Me confused!
        Alan do you still think accoutancy fees are not considered relevant goods, or am I missunderstanding what that term means!

Gorilla are suggesting coming off FRS on the basis of the comparative savings on VAT for accountancy fees alone, on my current turn over it is not a massive amount but they indicate VAT is reclaimable for their fees.
        Accountancy is classed as a service not goods therefore it would not count in the calculations for the when the updated version of theFRS comes into play.
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

Me confused!
          You are misunderstanding the term.

Goods are tangible objects.

Can you physically hold accountancy?
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by zoomfwd View Post
            I got the same advice as PC (from one of the big contractor accountants) -
            [INDENT][/ This of course will require your additional time for potentially minimal benefit, '
            What extra work and time is required from the contractor ?

Comment

Me confused!

Accountancy fees are not goods. This means they won't help to stop you being a "low cost trader" if you stay on the FRS.

What Gorilla are talking about is you leaving the FRS, and then you'll be able to reclaim VAT on the majority of your business costs, regardless of whether goods or services. If you leave the FRS, whether or not you're a low cost trader is irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by youngguy View Post
                What extra work and time is required from the contractor ?
                I do my own VAT so for my first return I have to hunt out the invoices for my accountant, mobile phone, business broadband, business web accounts/software and what I invoice my clients.

I suspect that's what they alluding to - that every quarter you have to find these plus hotel bills, training bills and low cost business equipment you buy.

As the vast majority of these are held electronically it won't take long.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  I do my own VAT so for my first return I have to hunt out the invoices for my accountant, mobile phone, business broadband, business web accounts/software and what I invoice my clients.

I suspect that's what they alluding to - that every quarter you have to find these plus hotel bills, training bills and low cost business equipment you buy.

As the vast majority of these are held electronically it won't take long.
                  So is the only real change you have to keep receipts / invoices and be willing to share them with your accountant?

Forgive the basic Q but I have always been on FRS

Comment

Originally posted by youngguy View Post
                    So is the only real change you have to keep receipts / invoices and be willing to share them with your accountant?

Forgive the basic Q but I have always been on FRS
                    You should have always kept your receipts and invoices.

The VAT man does random inspections regardless of what scheme you are on.

The only difference is now you have to share them with your accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      You should have always kept your receipts and invoices.

The VAT man does random inspections regardless of what scheme you are on.

The only difference is now you have to share them with your accountant.
                      Excellent thanks 😀

Don't worry, mine all get put in a Polly pocket, labelled by month and year, so I am all good! It just means a bit of scanning and emailing to my accountant

Comment

Working...
                      X