• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Tax panning][VAT][17/18] Which VAT scheme for an IT contractor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Tax panning][VAT][17/18] Which VAT scheme for an IT contractor?

Hi all,

I am about to open my company and I am bewildered by all the different VAT schemes. I am an IT contractor and I will not have many expenses going through the company, maybe £2-3K per year for travel and sustenance, a new laptop for £1.5K, maybe a new desktop ~ £500.

Is it better to be on the standard cash accounting scheme? For the flat one I know I can't reclaim VAT on purchases under 2K so I won't be able to reclaim much.

Cheers

Why aren't you asking your accountant this stuff? Surely looking at this and the last question you have an accountant? If you don't you seriously need one pronto.

Are you sure you won't have much in the way of expenses. What if your next gig is considerably further away?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 1 February 2017, 07:28.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I followed NLUKs advice before he gave it, asked my accountant Monday, did the sums on next gig and had it actioned yesterday.

On the basis of my expected hotel expenses I exited.

Comment

There are three VAT schemes, and post April 2017, the FRS loses any financial benefit, unless you count ease of processing. The other (cannot recall the name) is for used car dealers.

If your turnover is more than £83k, you charge 20% on your invoices and pay it to the C&E, and reclaim VAT on allowable expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by atanas View Post
          Hi all,

I am about to open my company and I am bewildered by all the different VAT schemes. I am an IT contractor and I will not have many expenses going through the company, maybe £2-3K per year for travel and sustenance, a new laptop for £1.5K, maybe a new desktop ~ £500.

Is it better to be on the standard cash accounting scheme? For the flat one I know I can't reclaim VAT on purchases under 2K so I won't be able to reclaim much.

Cheers
          PS: Has anybody taken you aside and explained the IR35 regulations to you..........?

Comment

Originally posted by MoroccanMole View Post
            There are three VAT schemes, and post April 2017, the FRS loses any financial benefit, unless you count ease of processing. The other (cannot recall the name) is for used car dealers.

If your turnover is more than £83k, you charge 20% on your invoices and pay it to the C&E, and reclaim VAT on allowable expenses.
            I presented some calculations on here the other week showing what you keep for collecting VAT based on £500/day
            14.5% - £13
            16.5% - £1

The problem with knowing your turnover is that you won't know if it's going to hit 83k until second half of the year in most cases.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              I presented some calculations on here the other week showing what you keep for collecting VAT based on £500/day
              14.5% - £13
              16.5% - £1

The problem with knowing your turnover is that you won't know if it's going to hit 83k until second half of the year in most cases.
              The graded Flat rate vat percentages have been scrapped so 14.5% last year becomes 16.5% this Tax year, which I am advised cancels out most financial benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by MoroccanMole View Post
                The graded Flat rate vat percentages have been scrapped so 14.5% last year becomes 16.5% this Tax year, which I am advised cancels out most financial benefits.
                That's what I'm saying too - based on a 220 day year at 500/day, you're down £2,640 in the next financial year from this tax grab.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Atanas - you are perhaps getting conflicting information as previously, under the old system the Flat Rate VAT scheme offered a small profit for most contractors over using the standard system.

However, the last budget introduced changes to the %rates, so under the current system where you charge 20% and only provide say, 13% to Customs and Exercise, from April 2017 onwards, the Flat Rate VAT Scheme has essentially been scrapped so everybody, regardless of the older % rates, is shoved onto paying 16.5% charged.

The numbers have been crunched by persons and this percentage gain is so small (once corporation tax is taken into account) that contractor's are being advised to switch to the normal VAT system (20% in / 20% out).

Guidance notes are probably still catching up - search the forum for the latest information or speak to your accountant. Or get one, if you don't have one. They will save you more in tax than they cost in fees......

Comment

Don't forget the 1% discount in the first year of trading on FRS, which might just about make it worth doing.

Comment

Working...
                    X