• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Signing a contract extension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ndl View Post
    This is being done on a monthly basis by my manager's manager's manager's manager. Don't ask
    Are you contractually on monthly or weekly terms?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Are you contractually on monthly or weekly terms?
      monthly

Comment

monthly
        Fair enough. Just checking that they weren't messing you around.

Are the reasons for leaving major or would you see a six-month extension out?
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I would say if the notice period is short on the extended contract cover your bases and sign it. If you get a better offer then you can decide to stay or serve notice (if its reasonable).

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            One thing you have to learn about contracting is there is no 'normal'. My PS client were discussing renewals in the first month of a three month gig. If you knew the right people you'd have a couple months of knowing one is coming. I've done a gig where they kept finishing me on a Friday and then calling on Monday to say the extension was though can I come in. There is everything in between....
            Even better if you know the guy who handles the budgets - I found out I was extended for 18 months even though they renewed every 3, just because the budget had been signed off.
            Last edited by radish2008; 24 January 2017, 13:50. Reason: spelling !

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
              Even better if you know the guy who handles the budgets - I found out I was extended for 18 months even though they renewed every 3, just because the budget had been signed off.
              That could have really screwed you over WRT the 24 month rule if you'd found that out 6 months in!!!

Sometimes it's better to not know lol.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'll be honest - that's correct.
                So surely the resolution is clear?

You get the new/extension contract from the agent then tell them that you're getting it reviewed and will let them know once that's concluded - something you'll be able to drag out for a week or so.

They may insist that the terms and conditions are the same as the previous contract, so you simply say that you're sure they are and you'll give the agent/client an answer once your solicitors have confirmed that.

Simples.

Comment

That could have really screwed you over WRT the 24 month rule if you'd found that out 6 months in!!!

Sometimes it's better to not know lol.
                  I never knew officially. I actually only did 22 months there I think In any case. That included the 18 months.

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
                    I never knew officially. I actually only did 22 months there I think In any case. That included the 18 months.
                    The term HMRC use is 'expect' which is very grey could be argued if you've got over 24 months budget you'd expect a contractor to stay.

Just a fun pedant point.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The term HMRC use is 'expect' which is very grey could be argued if you've got over 24 months budget you'd expect a contractor to stay.

Just a fun pedant point.
                      Surely it's when the contractor knows rather than the client?

If I'm a programme manager with a 30 month project, I'll be offering 3 or 6 months at a time depending on how the people and the project is going. Once it gets nearer to two years, I'd expect as a contractor to be looking for the exit or to be negotiating WFH or some other way of lowering expenses; if the client wants to keep me, they'll acquiesce. That said, I wouldn't expect the client to know about the 24 month rule, given that many contractors don't.

Comment

Working...
                      X