• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC possible inquiry mitigation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC possible inquiry mitigation

Hi there, can anyone give advise on how I can mitigate a possible inquiry ? I haven't been part of any tax avoidance scheme, but my accountant made a few mistakes last year, I had a personal crisis so wasn't able to review and revise figures as I did in the past. The mistakes required very little extra payment like a few hundreds only, and honestly even if I had overlooked his submissions I think I would have missed it myself, but now the accountant tells me my profile hits the HMRC target of opening an inquiry.

Is there anything I can do to mitigate it? Should I get insurance/ legal advise, I have the usual indemnity and employer's insurance, but not HMRC investigation insurance that used to come with the old contractor union thingie (is ipsa now?? forgot the name) which I used to have a long time ago before they made all the changes.

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
    Hi there, can anyone give advise on how I can mitigate a possible inquiry ? I haven't been part of any tax avoidance scheme, but my accountant made a few mistakes last year, I had a personal crisis so wasn't able to review and revise figures as I did in the past. The mistakes required very little extra payment like a few hundreds only, and honestly even if I had overlooked his submissions I think I would have missed it myself, but now the accountant tells me my profile hits the HMRC target of opening an inquiry.

Is there anything I can do to mitigate it? Should I get insurance/ legal advise, I have the usual indemnity and employer's insurance, but not HMRC investigation insurance that used to come with the old contractor union thingie (is ipsa now?? forgot the name) which I used to have a long time ago before they made all the changes.
    Bizarrely, this is the time to contact HMRC and ask for their help. This is a recent problem for you and should be pretty easy to clear up.

I'd also join IPSE, first, just in case.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Bizarrely, this is the time to contact HMRC and ask for their help.

Thanks Jacko - sorry can't call you cojak, am attached to your old screen name

Can you give further advise on how to contact HMRC and how to go about it?

I will PM you details, but I know others maybe interested in the reply, am PMing you just details about me, so if you or others want to give advise here please do.

Comment

Would joining IPSE work now after I had a few letters saying there were errors in my tax submitted by the accountant (Personal and PAYE) the errors were only a few hundreds so not a huge sum at all which has been settled already with HMRC. Could they use the fact I got such letters to say I knew I maybe investigated and therefore may not support the claim?

Comment

Most insurances work on a claims notified basis.

So if no enquiry has been notified yet, get yourself insured ASAP.

Ask your accountant if they have a scheme, as that would guarantee covering you for their work, and probably no declaration necessary about your thinking an enquiry may be imminent. If not Qdos, IPSE, FSB, etc - if there is just a knowledge of a possible problem then you shouldn't have difficulty in getting cover.

I remember a case I had about a decade ago, a little more.

Day 1 HMRC opened enquiry and send letters by second class post
          Day 3 - 10am client faxed in an application for insurance, routine as it was renewal time
          Day 3 - 10:30 post arrived with letters from HMRC opening enquiry
          Day 3 - 11am insurers confirmed covered

That was "Old Qdos" pre the Taxwise takeover.

Comment

Thanks Jessica, not sure from the above if you are recommending Qudos or not? I have my Indemnity and employee insuranc with them, so it would be easy to have it with them, but not sure if I should join IPSE as well? I prefer not to do both

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Bizarrely, this is the time to contact HMRC and ask for their help. This is a recent problem for you and should be pretty easy to clear up.

Absolutely this.

I was over 2 months late with my VAT, once, after rather ambitiously sending the cheque from India .

I called them on my return, they were very understanding and helpful.

Really

Also agree, get the insurance first
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
                Thanks Jessica, not sure from the above if you are recommending Qudos or not? I have my Indemnity and employee insuranc with them, so it would be easy to have it with them, but not sure if I should join IPSE as well? I prefer not to do both
                She's simply saying buy insurance asap and given you 3 organisations - IPSE, QDOS and FSB - who sell the insurance you need plus ask your accountant if they sell cover.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You might find your accountant has a group scheme that ALL clients are covered by. That's what we have. I think given he/she made the errors in the first place you'd get invited on foc.

Comment

No my accountant is an individual not a large accounting company. Am looking to move now.

Comment

Working...
                    X