• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Minority shareholding to your spouse

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minority shareholding to your spouse

Hi,

An article I read today suggested some tax planning ideas, including the following:

"Transfer a minority shareholding to your spouse so they can receive up to £5k of dividend tax free"

I have a couple questions on the above statement:
    1) Is there a specific % I should transfer to my spouse? Would 5% do the job?
    2) If my spouse is working full time and earns £30K/year, would that £5K dividends be really tax free? Or would my spouse be required to complete a self assessment and pay tax on the extra income?

Thanks,
    Chris.

Talk to your accountant. That's what you hire them for.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

True, and will do... just wondered if anyone had done that.

Thanks anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisFromGreece View Post
        Hi,

An article I read today suggested some tax planning ideas, including the following:

"Transfer a minority shareholding to your spouse so they can receive up to £5k of dividend tax free"

I have a couple questions on the above statement:
        1) Is there a specific % I should transfer to my spouse? Would 5% do the job?
        2) If my spouse is working full time and earns £30K/year, would that £5K dividends be really tax free? Or would my spouse be required to complete a self assessment and pay tax on the extra income?

Thanks,
        Chris.
        If you give her 5% then to pay her a dividend of £5k you'd be declaring a total dividend value of £100k (with £95k to yourself). If that's the kind of dividend you intend to pay, then it's enough. If not, then it isn't.

The first £5k dividend income for her would be tax free, regardless of what her PAYE income is.

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
          If you give her 5% then to pay her a dividend of £5k you'd be declaring a total dividend value of £100k (with £95k to yourself). If that's the kind of dividend you intend to pay, then it's enough. If not, then it isn't.

The first £5k dividend income for her would be tax free, regardless of what her PAYE income is.
          Thanks that makes sense and it's a lot clearer.

Was thinking of paying £35K dividend to myself... and £5K to my spouse. As such 12.5% should do the trick.

However, if I want to pay more dividends to my self, this should be reflected to the dividends my spouse receives as well I assume.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisFromGreece View Post
            True, and will do... just wondered if anyone had done that.

Thanks anyway.
            They have, but your accountant is still the best place for you to go. Here you ask a quick question which in most cases needs a complex answer to really give you the rounded view on it and not spawn further questions. SPeaking to your accountant means they will explain it all to you as well as other stuff you never realised and need to take in to account.

Don't try and learn the basics by asking a million questions on here. Let the professional guide you.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X