• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

salary + dividends and negative reserves

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting question regarding salary.

Say you paid your £10.6k salary in week 52 vs monthly over the year, would the £10.6k salary in week 52 attract higher taxes (I was thinking of NI payments)?

Originally posted by Rafd View Post
    Hi all, I need some advice on how best to deal with salary+dividends before April 6th. My situation is as follows: I recently started my Ltd having not previously worked this tax year. I have not yet paid out any salary or dividends. I now have profit of around 13k. I expect to earn over higher rate threshold next tax year.

Can I pay myself the 13 k profit as a dividend (after CT), then after this, declare a salary payment of £10600 as payment to directors loan account (despite no longer having the available funds)?

This would incur more immediate tax than just paying 10k salary + 3k dividends but would have the benefit of effectively shifting some of next years income into this year.

My accountant says this is not allowed as it would 'create negative reserves'. However, I have come here to consult the hive mind for a second opinion as I can't find any info on the web for this situation and don't have 100% faith in their answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      PS. A director loan is a director loan and not a dividend, therefore it makes no odds, but does attract unwanted attention.
      Citation needed.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I was led to believe that it is valid to declare a salary payment despite having no funds to cover it.
        Yes you can. That is paying an employee. They are also a creditor.

It is treated as a credit to the directors loan account
        that is an option if you can't afford to pay it.

BUT. You can't use a director loan to pay dividends you can't afford.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Citation needed.
          Really cannot be a**ed to find a citation so I'll just say that I might be wrong
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            Really cannot be a**ed to find a citation so I'll just say that I was feigning knowledge
            FTFY
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Heh - I certainly don't know more than my accountant but someone on here might!
              True. I'll concede your point, but in return I want you to answer a question for me.

How are you going to tell the difference between the guy who actually does know more than your accountant and the guy who is living in cloud cuckoo land and is going to get you in all kinds of trouble with HMRC?

Actually, I have a second question. When HMRC comes calling because they don't like what you did, which answer would you prefer? A) "My accountant told me it was fine, please discuss this matter with him." B) "Uh, some guy on the Internet who went by the handle NLyuckyuck said it should be fine."

I'll tell you how to do what you want. 1) Take all your profit (income minus any expenses you've incurred so far, whether you've paid them yet or not). 2) Pay a dividend in that amount. 3) Loan £10K back to your company as a director's loan. 4) Pay yourself £10K in salary. 5) Write your accountant and telling him you won't take up any more of his time, you aren't using an accountant these days, you're following the advice of WIByuckyuck on the Internet. 6) Send me half the money you would have paid him. Send it in cash because I don't want this traced. 7) If Hector ever comes and asks how you could afford to pay a dividend when you had an outstanding salary obligation of £10K, just tell him it was a bonus you earned after the dividend was paid, it was a TOTAL SURPRISE. It will be fine, I promise. Yuckyuck.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                True. I'll concede your point, but in return I want you to answer a question for me.

How are you going to tell the difference between the guy who actually does know more than your accountant and the guy who is living in cloud cuckoo land and is going to get you in all kinds of trouble with HMRC?

Actually, I have a second question. When HMRC comes calling because they don't like what you did, which answer would you prefer? A) "My accountant told me it was fine, please discuss this matter with him." B) "Uh, some guy on the Internet who went by the handle NLyuckyuck said it should be fine."

I'll tell you how to do what you want. 1) Take all your profit (income minus any expenses you've incurred so far, whether you've paid them yet or not). 2) Pay a dividend in that amount. 3) Loan £10K back to your company as a director's loan. 4) Pay yourself £10K in salary. 5) Write your accountant and telling him you won't take up any more of his time, you aren't using an accountant these days, you're following the advice of WIByuckyuck on the Internet. 6) Send me half the money you would have paid him. Send it in cash because I don't want this traced. 7) If Hector ever comes and asks how you could afford to pay a dividend when you had an outstanding salary obligation of £10K, just tell him it was a bonus you earned after the dividend was paid, it was a TOTAL SURPRISE. It will be fine, I promise. Yuckyuck.
                All you need is a QC's letter and you're on to something. I like it.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  All you need is a QC's letter and you're on to something. I like it.
                  Once he sends me his money, I'll get a QC, I promise.

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorBanking View Post
                    Interesting question regarding salary.

Say you paid your £10.6k salary in week 52 vs monthly over the year, would the £10.6k salary in week 52 attract higher taxes (I was thinking of NI payments)?
                    If you're on a cumulative tax code and have no other PAYE income then no.

Comment

Directors NI

Originally posted by VelcroPower View Post
                      If you're on a cumulative tax code and have no other PAYE income then no.
                      He said NI - the answer is still no if you ticked the box that says 'apply director NI'

Comment

Working...
                      X