• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DIY accounting for dummies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY accounting for dummies

I do not quite enjoy the idea of paying a grand or a couple a year to someone for just few paper exercises. Is there a new contractor DIY accounting guide somewhere answering questions how to pay salary to yourself, expense reports, dividends etc.
    Last edited by Ltd; 27 February 2015, 16:50.

Try this

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Goatfell View Post
      I've always found this more help, to be honest, although the auto-reply needs some work
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Ltd View Post
        I do not quite enjoy the idea of paying a grand or a couple a year to someone for just few paper exercises. Is there a new contractor DIY accounting guide somewhere answering questions how to pay salary to yourself, expence reports, dividents etc.
        Given that you're struggling to spell expense and dividend correctly, do you really think it's smart to do the accounts yourself?
        Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

I do not quite enjoy the idea of paying a grand or a couple a year to someone for just few paper exercises. Is there a new contractor DIY accounting guide somewhere answering questions how to pay salary to yourself, expence reports, dividents etc.
          I don't know how to start trying to educate you so I'm not going to bother.

Get an accountant.

Comment

If you think engaging an accountant is expensive, you should see what it could cost to do your own books.

Comment

The old adage "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional, wait until you hire an amateur!" is very apt here.

Equally apt is the "The man who represents himself in court has a fool for a client" is better though!

If you cannot afford to do things properly, don't bother. It's not worth it because instead of paying £1500 for an accountant, you may well be paying £15000 for mistakes.

Comment

This coming from the guy that doesn't understand if VAT is extra to his rate, doesn't know about claiming rent and can't use a website to register for VAT... and that's all before he's even started. Can't wait to see how you think you are going to get out of the complex hole you make yourself at year end by knowing next to nothing about the basics.

Stupid is as stupid does.....
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Can't wait to see how you think you are going to get out of the complex hole you make yourself at year end by knowing next to nothing about the basics.
                  By following the expert advice given in post three of this thread...
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    Given that you're struggling to spell expense and dividend correctly, do you really think it's smart to do the accounts yourself?
                    Apologies, English is not my first language...

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                    Equally apt is the "The man who represents himself in court has a fool for a client" is better though!
                    ...and I acted for myself as an immigration lawyer and that worked extremely well. And I used a solicitor in house purchase so I nearly lost a deal as nothing has been done for several weeks.
                    Last edited by Ltd; 27 February 2015, 16:49.

Comment

Working...
                    X