• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Class 2 NI Contribution for IT Contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Class 2 NI Contribution for IT Contractor

Hello guys,

Does an IT contractor working as a Limited company director (n drawing a salary of £640/month) has to pay class 2 NI contribution. I have gone through this document & what I understand is, Limited company director should not pay class 2 NI contributions.

Can anybody please confirm? Also, If my understanding is correct,
    1. how can i notify HMRC about this as I have received a letter today to pay class 2 NI contribution.
    2. and why i have received this letter. Just trying to understand if there is any mistake made by my accountant or something?

Many thank for ready and your help

Thanks

What does your accountant say?

Comment

No class 2 NIC unless you are registered as self employed. Are you?

If not then it's likely an error. Ring HMRC and put them straight or even better, get your accountant to sort it out.

Comment

If you are registered with HMRC as a sole trader then, yes, you will pay Class 2 NIC's. If you have set up a Limited Company then Class 1 NIC's are payable on the salary drawn (as opposed to dividends taken) but the amount you are taking falls under the threshold anyway so nothing due.
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          What does your accountant say?
          Thanks for useful reply. Much appreciated

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
          No class 2 NIC unless you are registered as self employed. Are you?

If not then it's likely an error. Ring HMRC and put them straight or even better, get your accountant to sort it out.
          Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
          If you are registered with HMRC as a sole trader then, yes, you will pay Class 2 NIC's. If you have set up a Limited Company then Class 1 NIC's are payable on the salary drawn (as opposed to dividends taken) but the amount you are taking falls under the threshold anyway so nothing due.
          As far as I am aware, I am not registered as self employed or sole trader. I am a director of a limited company with 100% share holder.

Comment

Originally posted by computerguru View Post
            As far as I am aware, I am not registered as self employed or sole trader. I am a director of a limited company with 100% share holder.
            Sounds as though HMRC are confused on this.

There's a difference between being registered for self assessment (which most director/shareholders will need to do) and registering as self employed (which they don't). I'd guess you/your accountant have done the latter by mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
              Sounds as though HMRC are confused on this.

There's a difference between being registered for self assessment (which most director/shareholders will need to do) and registering as self employed (which they don't). I'd guess you/your accountant have done the latter by mistake.
              Thanks for replying. How can i confirm this from HMRC? Is there any website where I can check this? I am trying to call HMRC on 0300 200 3505 but "they are very busy" and just disconnects my call.

Comment

Originally posted by computerguru View Post
                Thanks for replying. How can i confirm this from HMRC? Is there any website where I can check this? I am trying to call HMRC on 0300 200 3505 but "they are very busy" and just disconnects my call.
                I would naturally say "with a phone". But as you have found out it is not necessarily that easy. Is there any different number on the letter you can try. Or possibly any enquiry number on HMRC website. The problem is I suspect they all get routed in the same direction.

Comment

The best way to deal with an HMRC cock up, in my experience, is to write to them and then keep a copy of the letter that you send - it usually takes a while to get a reply but then, if you have something in writing, you are better placed to deal with them if the issue arises again (which is, unfortunately a possibility)
                  Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                    I would naturally say "with a phone". But as you have found out it is not necessarily that easy. Is there any different number on the letter you can try. Or possibly any enquiry number on HMRC website. The problem is I suspect they all get routed in the same direction.
                    Thanks again. I managed to speak to HMRC and they said I am registered as self employed. I will now speak to my accountant to see why he has registered me as self employed and will try to revert it.

Thanks
                    Last edited by computerguru; 23 October 2014, 10:32.

Comment

Working...
                    X