• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Direct Recovery Powers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signed! I can't think of an organisation more unfit to wield such powers.

Comment

Done, and agree with Zero Liability.
      Beer
      is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
      Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
        Signed. Are you OK if I cut and paste the original post onto other forums etc where there'd be lot of potential signers?
        Yes, that's fine

Comment

Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
          Signed. Are you OK if I cut and paste the original post onto other forums etc where there'd be lot of potential signers?
          IMHO, please don't do that. Cut and pasting the same post across multiple public forums will easily be seen as an orchestrated spam campaign, with negative implications for the 'cause'. Wouldn't it be better to take a few minutes to understand the concerns and describe them in your own words?

That said, if anyone already has a letter for MPs then I'd happily use it verbatim. They are used to being lobbied and it'll only garner a standard response anyway, but it still serves to register a protest.

Comment

I signed.

If HMRC were a bank, school or hospital, they would be closed down without a doubt. How can you put a system into live that makes 6m errors pa and continues to do so? Simple regression testing against the last year's final tax codes would have shown that it was massively bugged and not fit for purpose!

The fault lies squarely with politicians of all flavours AND the senior civil servants that do not give a tulip simply because they owe no duty of care to anyone.

Under the banner of tax simplification, they introduce more and more complex legislation year on year. Even HMRC staff (mostly) do not understand the tax code and regulations.

They demonise, bully and ridicule the very people that subsidise them.

They allow politicians, large corporates and high profile sportspeople to evade tax and hound the little people into bankruptcy and even suicide.

It is unlikely anything will ever change.

Hence, they are not a fit and proper organisation to hold such powers.
            Last edited by tractor; 23 August 2014, 09:05.

Comment

Quite. Had two major challenges from HMRC during my contracting years and they were based on assumptions that bore no resemblance to the true situation. One would hope they would not take money from a bank without going through a proper investigation and giving the person/company involved a chance to contest it but who knows?
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I signed up.

As others have pointed out, I'd struggle to think of a less suitable organisation to have the ability to dip into a persons bank account. Without any sort of independant oversight it's a recipe for disaster. I'd also expect mission creep to gradually extend the scope of these powers once enacted and the safeguards to be diluted as time went by - a £5k safety net might be considered ok today but 10 years of inflation may render it useless.

Comment

Signed. I'll post it on the BN66 forum.
                  'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                  Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Signed, and tweeted.

Comment

Signed.
                      I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Working...
                      X